Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

k2500 reliable enough for regular gigging?

b3fiend

In an effort to trim down my stage gear, I am seriously considering pulling my prized Kurz K2500XS out of the studio and using it as my main axe every weekend along with my Hammond XK-2.

Re-creating the patches from my other synths would be a challenge - I will probably use an internal SCSI drive to hold samples, and keep a portable CD drive as a backup should the internal drive fail.

My only worry is how well the K2500XS can handle the regular abuse of being hauled around the bar-band / festival scene. Is the K2500 pretty reliable when it is taking the punishment of loading/unloading several times a week, Sitting in the truck overnight at -10F or 95F, getting sprayed with beer, swimming in smoke and other bar muck, etc. etc.?

Anyone else hauling their K2500 around? How does it hold up?

Thanks,

-gregg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would venture to say if its been a reliable instrument in the studio it will be reliable on the road as well. There are MANY people that tour with K2500's.

I once had a 32oz beer poured in mine. We stopped the set, opened it up and cleaned out as much as possible. It made it through the rest of the night. The next day I had to order some key contacts, but otherwise it has worked great to this day.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Gregg, I take mine around inside an SKB hardshell case with wheels. I really recommend this a lot! I'll also be getting one of those keyboard covers with a toggle lock, in case I don't continue to be lucky about shooing people away before they set their beer on top of it.

With KB3 mode, do you really need to take the Hammond out as well?

Originally posted by BassGuy:

Gregg, I take mine around inside an SKB hardshell case with wheels. I really recommend this a lot!

I plan on it. I have a similar SKB case for my QS8.1, and aside from the weight and breaking a few handles, I've have been happy with it. A K2500 in an SKB hard case must weigh close to 100 lbs. I'll be begging for help from my bandmates every time I need to pack. :(

I'll also be getting one of those keyboard covers with a toggle lock, in case I don't continue to be lucky about shooing people away before they set their beer on top of it.
??? I've never heard of what you are describing. Do you have a pointer to a brand, etc?

With KB3 mode, do you really need to take the Hammond out as well?

I play so much Hammond in a night, I really like having a dedicated board for it - it's always there, and I don't have to create so many splits. KB3 mode sounds acceptable, but just rubs me the wrong way - grabbing a handful of sliders just doesn't feel right, etc. It's just not as versatile real-time.

I also like to have at least 2 boards so that I can play one while changing patches on the other to prepare for the next song.

The hard part is gonna be re-creating my patches from my other boards. Most I can sample in, but others with filter sweeps, etc i'll have to re-create from scratch. I am nowhere near being proficient in editing the K2500, so I'll have a learning curve to get by.

-Gregg

Here's an example of the keyboard cover ($25). Sorry I'm not able to describe it very well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com

Search for odyssey keyboard cover

I can appreciate having two keyboards to play a range of sounds, and to have the drawbars always available on the Hammond.

You can set up the Kurzweil to let you step through patches with a footswitch. Jordan Rudess has a good article on this.

Take advantage of Mike Martin's offer to help with your programming ideas! I'm nowhere near the expert he is, but I'll help you where I can too. There are also approximately 3.89 Gazillion patches available for download from various free patch libraries, including Kurzweil's web site.

Archived