Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GeoSync,M.Martin,K2500 users-Live Mode ?

BBach

I bought a K2500RS on ebay last week. The OS version is 2.8

and the objects are version 3.something. The manuals don't

mention Live Mode and from the Kurzweil website it sounds as

though all you have to do is call up one of the Live Mode

keymaps and you're good to go. Which keymaps are Live Mode ?

I am puzzled.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on your K2500 purchase. The first thing I would recommend is that you update both your OS and Object files.

The current OS for a K2500 without KDFX is 3.02. Depending on what other options you have installed (Piano ROM, Orchestral ROM or Contemporary ROM) you will need to install the latest Object files as well. Please see this page for reference -

Kurzweil Downloads page

Once you have the new objects installed, you will actually get Live Mode presets built into the machine in the 700's labeled with "LM". Instead of using those, I'll take you through the process of making your own.

First thing you need to do is set the sampler to function for Live Mode. On the sampler page, change the Mode from Stereo, Mono left, mono right to LIVE IN. Make sure your source is set to EXT, and with something plugged into the sampling inputs you should see signal on the level meters.

Now lets create a Live Mode program. Go to program #199, press EDIT. Press the KEYMAP button and change the keymap to #197. If you want to use stereo material, set the stereo switch to ON and add keymap #198. You should press the MORE> button and find the OUTPUT page and setup the panning for stereo material if neccessary.

At this point if you hold down a key preferably C4, sound should be passing through the K2500. You can go back to the ALG page and add filters or anything else you desire.

Hope this helps,

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Thanks Mike. By the way, What kind of cool new stuff is being

planned for the the expansion slot in the KSP8. Inteligent

pitch shift ? Some kind of voice modeling ala VoicePrism+ ?

Communication with the dead ?, Come on, Give us a hint

Unfortunately I can't hint yet. Not to many people have noticed that our literature says "An additional hardware option slot is provided for future growth." Nice catch.

- Note to engineers - Add expansion capability to allow commicatino with the dead per BBACH's suggestion.

There actually might be a surprize or two before we even get to addressing that option slot though. :) Some of the I/O options have already changed, both ADAT and TASCAM I/O are now going to be on one card, rather than two seperate options.

Believe me as soon as I'm able to give out any concrete details I will.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike, thanks for participating in this forum. Thanks especially for your company creating the awesome K2500, I love it! Some of the highlights for me - Live mode is a blast, B3 mode has 'em crying for more, pianos & strings & choirs are beautiful, analog sounds really cut through, ribbon control invites tweaking, editing isn't too hard. I wish there was a full GM sound set, TChai Oboe sounds like a clarinet with asthma so I'd like to find better oboe and bassoon patches when I need orchestral wind sounds.

I'm trying to figure out what exactly I would get from an upgrade to a 2600. It looks to me like these are the differences:

1. KDFX built in.

2. DMTI can pass 8 inputs to KDFX. On the 2500, looks like DMTI would be an advantage on the output side (8 digital outs), but I wouldn't gain anything on the input side (only 2 digital ins).

3. Lose insert points on the analog outs, but gain balanced outs.

4. User upgradeable hardware without the need to get authorized installs of upgrades.

5. Triple layer mode to stack VAST processing stages.

Am I missing anything?

By the way, I understand that Hal Chamberlin ("Musical applications of microprocessors") was a Kurzweil employee in the K150 days. Is he still on board? Any plans you can discuss about a future for additive synthesis?

Originally posted by BassGuy:

By the way, I understand that Hal Chamberlin ("Musical applications of microprocessors") was a Kurzweil employee in the K150 days. Is he still on board? Any plans you can discuss about a future for additive synthesis?

I know Hal from when I used to work for Kurzweil in Waltham, MA. He's a totally great guy, not to mention being completely brilliant. AFAIK, he does, in fact still work for Kurzweil - last time I saw him, he did, anyway....

The K150 was an amazingly cool piece from a math standpoint, but I never heard anyone actually make the thing sound good. It was quite difficult to work, too...IIRC, you really needed an Apple IIE (!) with editing software to really program it. Not very many were sold...

http://www.vintagesynth.org/kurzweil/k150.jpg

For those of you who've never seen one, this is the best shot that I can find. For those of you who don't know, it's the rack unit, not the Midiboard.

Interesting Kurzweil trivia - who knows who's mostly responsible for the user interface on the Midiboard?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I'll address your other questions in the morning but yes Hal is still with the company. There is a recent interview with him at www.sonikmatter.com

-Mike Martin

Casio

Ok here is the direct link to the Hal Chamberlin interview

http://interview.sonikmatter.com/chamberlin/

Here is a picture of Hal with a number of K150's.

http://interview.sonikmatter.com/chamberlin/K150_pro12.jpg

In regards to the previous question about comparing the K2500 to the K2600. Let me add a few things...

- The K2600 has the stereo piano built in, optional on the K2500.

- The K2600 also has more ROM expansion capability. The K2500 series. It has a total of 4 ROM expansion slots. We current have 3 ROM boards shipping.

- The K2600 has much more PRAM standard. I've personally never had a need for the PRAM expansion, which was almost neccessary on the K2500.

- The new board design in addition to the balanced outputs provides a much cleaner audio output.

- The K2600 ships with 64MB of sample RAM.

Triple Mode is probably the most significant and mostly unexplored difference. Its an unbelievable system, but its rather intimidating to people at first. I've been doing as much Triple Mode programming as I can lately and the possibilities are vast :) to say the least. If you've been around long enough to remember the original K2000 presets you'll probably remember that they weren't very good. We've come along way in understanding VAST itself and I expect we'll begin to see similar results in Triple Mode very soon.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike, thanks again. I tried an earlier post thanking you for the link to the interviews site - very interesting and inspiring to read - but the new BBS software seems to have eaten it for lunch. It's great to have such terrific response from manufacturers here, such as yourself and Jeff from Tascam.

Looks like when I have money again, I should consider selling my 2500 second hand towards a 2600, rather than adding kdfx to the 2500.

Archived