Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Monty Python?

Dave Bryce

You know, one of the ways that I can tell how well I will get along with someone and/or how warped they are is to ask them what their favorite Monty Python bit is.

Something tells me that it's more than likely that I'm not the only Python fan here...

My faves:

TV show - probably the Dead Parrot sketch, although it varies depending on the day....

Movie - hard to say between between the Grail and Life of Brian. Both brilliant. If push came to shove, I'd probably have to say the Grail.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great MP moments:

"The mouse organ"

"The fish-slapping dance"

"Dpt. of silly walks"

"All you need is cash - meet The Rutles"

(not really a product of the MP collective, more of an off-spring, a very memorable one)

BTW, does anyone remember a movie called "The great McGonnagal"? (Featuring Spike Milligan).

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Life of Brian. Probably in a deep way the most accurate movie on the subject, too, LOL.

I like the "Python family" movies: Time Bandits, Brazil, Jabberwocky, Munchausen, AFCW (had an asthma attack laughing), and the series Fawlty Towers. Michael Palin's world travels series are great, Antarctica left a big impression.

There are a couple of shorter movies- the one with Michael Palin, ambitious wife and the pig, and a John Cleese short which I think is based on a Chekov story but can't remember. Very sweet...something with a double bass, anybody remember?

The series...the skit where the great explorer is putting together an expedition to climb the "double peaks..." of some mountain is the first one that comes to mind. Heeheehee!

-CB

Hello. Yes,yes,yes,9 1/2,yes,yes. "Your dung sir." "I didn't order any dung!" By far the funniest thing I ever saw was the short film about the insurance firm that precedes "The Meaning of Life".

Now I've got this bloody albatross to get rid of.

Michael

--------------------------------------------------------------

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Life of Brian first and Holy Grail a close second for me.

Fish called Wanda became part of my family's language in the 80's. (Damn, there I go dating myself again.)

The only think I can't stand about Python movies is that they attract this strange denizen of the movie world, the Pythonite. You can tell this species by the dazed religious trance with which the individual recites lines while the movie is playing. Pythonites always find the row of seats behind me and mutter their lines ahead of the action on screen, like short-range prophets of the celluloid world. So I find myself waiting for their mistakes, which I celebrate with a vicious and gleeful, hah! :P:D

I am a tolerant movie goer and have never used my tub of hot buttered on a Pythonite. It's a delicious thought though, and quite in keeping with the refined aesthetic of Python. I think I'll try it someday. ;):D

Jerry

LOB - "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"

HG - "We are the knights who say 'Ni'"

and of course the Black Knight fight sequence. "You've got no arms or legs, what are you going to do, bleed on me to death?" - "Come back here you coward, I'll bite your legs off!"

TV - "My name is Smokestoomuch" and

"Do you like photography, candid photos, nudge, nudge, wink, wink?"

The "Just One More" mint sequence from the last movie, whose title escapes me right now.

Any many, many more. I always liked the cartoon sequences too. :)

I could never choose just one. When I was growing up, my dad watched precisely three TV shows--Laugh In, Carol Burnett, and Python, the latter of which had a formative effect on me.

Grail is the best movie, IMO. Matching Tie and Handkerchief may be the best album (they were a damn fine audio troupe back in the day when comedy albums actually sold a touch). As for the best sketches. Pirhana brothers is great. The Church Police. Cheese shop. Many of Gilliam's inspired interstices.

Best "solo" python work, in my book, goes to the collected films of Terry Gilliam. Who knew? Though it's hard to discount the Rutles--which includes the hefty contribution of the other invisible python, Neil Innes.

And let's hear it for Carol Cleveland.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Dirty Vicar, Twit of the Year competition, Confuse a Cat Limited, The Marriage Councelor...

That sketch where they're all wearing ridiculous hair pieces and accousing Eric Idle of wearing one...

That sketch where a guy's on trial for the Hungarian to English phrase book. "You actually translated; 'Where is the bus station' into 'Fondle my bum!'

Hey, 'The Meaning of Life' is a great flick too!

www.pythonline.com

The Silly Party elections, Mr. Neutron (Teddy Salad: "I've......gotta go walkies...."), Raymond Luxury Yacht ("Throat-Warbler Mangrove!") and the naughty translation phrase book ("My nipples explode with delight!"), Mr. SmokedTooMuch, ANY of the Gilliam animations, etc. How can you choose only one?
Give me the ANALOG and no one gets HURT

Originally posted by TinderArts:

Piranna bros rule!!!!!!!

"That's when he chained me to his tank and took me for a SCRAPE over to Dinsdale's!!!"

"Then Dinsdale got mad, and proceeded to nail the coffeetable to my head.

"Dinsdale!!!"

TROLL . . . ish.

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!He's f*ckin' snuffed it!..... THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

Other than the Dead Parrot sketch, my next favorite is "Spot the Braincell" from Live at the Theatre Royal. This is the one where John Cleese is the game show host and Terry Jones (in drag) is a contestant for the prize of "A blow on the 'ed"

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Archived