Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar alternative to keyboard workstation

LiveMusic

Sorry, crosspost from guitar forum... but no one replied from that forum. And sorry, I don't know much about gear. I just bang on an acoustic guitar, trying now to work up a solo act.

I have a Yamaha PSR740 keyboard workstation. It has an auto-accompaniment feature whereby there is a split point on the keyboard and the keys on the left of that point, you can play chords and you can choose from dozens (hundreds?) of different accompaniment choices. To the right of the split point, you can just play whatever voice you want... piano or whatever.

Is there anything like this in the guitar world? I know there are midi guitars; maybe that's the closest thing. I have never used midi and I don't really know how midi guitars (Roland?) work but I understand you can trigger samples from the guitar somehow. Is there anything in the guitar world that has an auto-accompaniment?

And if so, is there anything along these lines that you could do with an acoustic? Seems somebody like Roland has a pickup you can put on a guitar. I don't know if you can put it on an acoustic.

This keyboard just blows me away at how much music you can make all by yourself. And I'm not even a piano player; I'm learning. It's great fun and also great for songwriting... very stimulating, what with all of the various rhythms and voices. Just wondered what could be had in the guitar world.

BTW, this feature I am talking about with this workstation is NOT MIDI. It's auto-accompaniment. You can pipe in midi, too, but this feature I'm talking about is LIVE... it's playing the accompaniment based on the chords you play... pop, rock, jazz, reggae, country, you name it... styles.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jojje:

I think the accompaniment is midi too, isn´t it? You can probably make your own accompaniment styles.

Uh, yeah, probably... that's coming from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. (Me.) I just meant that the auto-accompaniment feature is not dependent on any type of external connection to anything else; it's occurring live with the chords played by the left hand. It has four different pre-sets (is that the term) where you can be playing along and hit one of those buttons and a whole 'nother set of voices kicks in, complete with a drum sequence change.

I'm not even sure if I'm asking the question properly. A midi guitar, maybe it does what I'm talking about. If it doesn't, I don't understand what it does do. Then again, I only know the basic concept of midi.

I plug my Taylor acoustic into my amp, flip a switch, play, it makes sound; that's about the limit of my knowledge. All this midi stuff intimidates me. Hey, I'm making headway though. I had the keyboard about a year before I really got into it over a couple of days. Now, it blows me away all I can do.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Duke, search for info on Mark Shreve (not sure if I spelled his name right).

A MIDI guitar pickup fits under the strings like any other pickup. Its cable doesn't go to your amp, instead it goes to an adapter box (footpedal or rack mount) which generates signals at its MIDI OUT jack. If you run a cable from this to your keyboard's MIDI IN jack, then your keyboard will respond as though you had played the same pitches on its keyboard. There will be a little delay while the guitar convertor figures out what note you played, and sends the data out. Other than that it will be exactly like using the split points, auto-accompaniment etc. by playing keys. Expect a week of tinkering to get the guitar box to respond to your style of playing, in particular adjusting the sensitivity and how much it responds to bent notes.

Duke ,

Suppose you could trigger the chord changes of your PSR740 with your feet ? In real time ?

YOu may be able to hook up midi bass pedals ! I have involved with arranger keyboards since 1988 . I have not seen a guitar that can give you the arrangerments via the chords you play on your guitar . But , you could use your feet ! dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Originally posted by dano:

Duke ,

Suppose you could trigger the chord changes of your PSR740 with your feet ? In real time ?

YOu may be able to hook up midi bass pedals ! I have involved with arranger keyboards since 1988 . I have not seen a guitar that can give you the arrangerments via the chords you play on your guitar . But , you could use your feet ! dano

Tell me more. I've seen something like this on a looper site. Are these still in production? Know any manufacturer or model names? I'm interested in anything that would spiff up a solo live performance.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Archived