Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bitch-slapping the hand that feeds you

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think the CP scheme will make the mp3's online [i]better[/i] and heres why: the current rash of mp3's (a lot of them lately) have little conversion problems like BLIPS, CRUNKS, and SMOOGS in the songs. ok i made those terms up but if you heard them youd know that they are making those problems now. maybe this is because of some CP scheme, i dont know. maybe its some cruddy windows ripping application. anyway, if ya cant acess the data directly via mac or pc cdrom, this will only stop a few people from making mp3's. what about folks with AM3 cards? digi 001? motu hardware? top end soundblasters (ok not as good, but better than built in mobo stuff) ya just play the cd into protools, performer, sonar, apple quicktime, WMP, etc. what if your cd player has spdif out? 2 of mine do, and one even has optical out. both of these go into protools on my machine digitally, set the clock to the player and copy away, no level setting or anything. how will the new CP scheme prevent this from happening? its still a digital transfer, its just slowed down to 1X transfer rate instead of 12X and up

AAAANNNNNNDDDDD, how about the fact that one minute after i saw the new audioslave video on mtv, i got on limewire and came up with multiple copies available. i downloaded one (45mb) in a few minutes and burned it to a VCD and watched on my DVD player. whole thing took about 15minutes and the picture on that particular mpeg is nearly as good as the mtv version (some are crap) my point is, the video i downloaded had an mtv2 logo on it in the corner, it was ripped off of cable. ????? how will this CP scheme do anything but make the companies worse off? all it will do is piss off the consumer base, it will not deter piracy. in fact, mp3's are more widely available NOW than when napster was available!!!

I LOVE the last live of the CNN piece!! "Copyright owners are entitled to use whatever formats they want to use," (Fred) von Lohmann said. "If they really want to protect their content they can go back to vinyl." :idea: Dere ya go, ya dumb mofo's... :thu:

The TV/Cable/Satellite networks are similarly screaming about the new TiVo technology that allows viewers to fast-forward thru commercials, etc. Here's my prediction: in about five years there will no longer be "commercial breaks" in video programming. Instead, there will be a continuous streaming banner on the screen. It will be there at all times, and it will arbitrarily hop to the top of the screen, bottom, sides, possibly even across the center, so that it can't (easily) be blocked. Could something similar happen on music only? If "Drink Pepsi" is spoken during the fadeout of a song, or across the guitar solo, it'll be impossible to remove. Consumer protest would be loud but at this point I wouldn't put [i]anything[/i] past the recording industry. Christopher's post is an excellent example of their attitude now.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Yeah, FUCK the major labels!!! I'll just start buying only USED CDs from now on. That just means I'll have to wait an extra week to buy new releases. And, by the fucking WAY, you moron major label shitheads, if I can LISTEN to a CD, then I can COPY it, too. Maybe not directly to digital, but with an analog conversion. It is easy. Fuck you.

I think it's all just a conspiracy to get people to make their own music and videos, and share them online. Y'see, that way broadband suddenly becomes more necessary. Anyone noticed that web pages are getting busier, more overloaded, fuller of Flash and Shockwave and every kind of "active" thing people can think to deliver? All a push to make people feel like they _need_ broadband. So's all this darn copy-protection talk. Who buys CDs anymore?? :D rt

But, Wewus, don't you UNDERSTAND??? If the major labels all go out of business, then music will CEASE TO EXIST!!! We are in terrible peril here! Please, everybody, go run out and buy as many copy-protected CDs as financially possible! Then, and ONLY then, will we save the music industry, and in doing so, save MUSIC ITSELF!!! ... or something...

Lets not forget about the easiest and best way to get free music.... Your friends. Let them buy it. And just listen to their copies. Thats what Ive been doing. Who can afford $18 per disc?

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived