Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Listening to keyboards built-in sounds through comp

Evmonk

I have a midi connection but I really want to hear my KEYBOARDS sounds through my computers speakers. I've talked to a few people and they tell me I need an "audio cable"...but exactly what cable do I need and where can I get it? I have a Technics SX-p50 keyboard and a sound blaster audigy mp3 soundcard. Any help would really be appreciated! thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may want to buy a small mixer ! $69.99 for a Behringer 6 channel .

You would have the computer monitors connected to the mixer !

dano

why a mixer ? usually the line in on sound cards are mini jacks or rca input . The mixer would help ....IMO

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Just to clarify, I'm not really concerned with recording anything at this point. It's just that I don't have any speakers connected to my keyboard at this point so the only way to listen to myself play is through headphones. I just want to be able to play the keyboard through my comps speakers because they are really nice. thanks :)

A mixer is good to have, but not necessary- and chances are you've already got a mixer in the computer. What is your soundcard? Usually it goes like this:

Synth audio out >>> Soundcard audio in >>> Mixer and controls in software >>> Soundcard audio out >>> Speakers

-CB

Just take a look behind your keyboard: which kind of output does it have? Possibly 2 RCA's, but make sure, it might be a "big" stereo jack or 2 small mono jacks or who knows what.

Then take a look behind your computer (or at the front panel... I'm not sure about how the audigy is installed) at the soundcard where you have your speakers plugged in. It should have some kind of "LINE IN" input. Possibly it will be a stereo minijack. Let's assume that.

Then all you have to do is go to a store and ask for a cable with 2 male rca's on one end and one male stereo minijack on the other end... And make sure you have not muted your line-in entrance in your soundcard mixer (use the mixer of your soundcard to check it out).

If you want to plug your keyboard straight to your speakers (not through the computer), then supposing your speakers have a mini jack stereo male and your keyboard has 2 female rca's as we said before, then you need a cable with a female stereo minijack on one end (for the speakers), and 2 male rca's on the other end (for the keyboard)... I'm started to get confused by all this minimonomalejackrca stuff, but I guess by now you get the idea... just ask for a cable that will match your needs. Hope it helps.

(PS- I'm assuming that your speakers are self-amplified)

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: Blue ]

= blue =

The two outputs on your keyboard are mono jacks that combined, turn into a stereo output. The cable you are looking for, has plugs for the two outputs on your keyboard in one end, and a small plug like the ones on headphones in the other end. The small plug goes into your line in input.

I use a Phonic MM1002 mixer myself, because I have three synths, but if you plan to use only one, a single cable will do fine.

A little sketch.

R------\
       \                    L+R
Synth    ---------------------00-Computer
       /
      /
L------

I know I suck at ASCII, but you get my idea? Go to your local audio/hifi store and ask for this cable.

For a quick and simple solution just hook your speakers to the headphone output of your keyboard. You may need an adapter if your keyboard has 1/4" headphone outputs but that is easily found. I had an adapter included with a set of headphones. This is by far the cheap and easy way to get sound without having to use headphones. I do it a lot when I want to sit in a reclyner with a beat box in my lap while watching TV. I have a set of computer speakers that stay in the living room just for this purpose. Chances are you may already have one of these jacks.

As said above you can also get a cable to go from your output of the keyboard to the input of the sound card. You can eiter use the line out on the keyboard or the headphone out. If you use the headphone out just get a stereo cable 1/4" to mini jack. Sound could be better comming from the line out but as you said it is just for listening.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived