Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BALLSY drum samples?

Ian Dorsch

I have some very nice drum samples on my XV-5080, and I have the Roland MBD-1 (the rack version of the SR/JV bass& drum card) which has some decent samples on it as well, but I am a little dismayed at the lack of ballsy-ness in most of kick samples. I'm looking for a big, tight, grungy crushing kick, a la the kick tones on the new Sevendust album, King's X's Dogman, Just about anything that Terry Date has produced, etc...something to move some serious air.

Anyone have any suggestions for a sample library that has some tones along those lines? I have played with the SRX Dynamic Drums card, and liked it a lot, but I still feel like it's missing an earth-shaking kick. Maybe I should just resign myself to dropping my wimpy-sounding kick part on tape and beefing it up with outboard gear...?

Ian

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know the recordings you mentioned, but Bob Clearmountain Drums 2 has a lot of ballsy kicks and snares. A bit dated for some music, but you can always back off on the reverb a bit. Very playable - great 5-way cross-switched snares, etc. You can get this on CD-ROM and hook it up the 5080.

Rather than record the drum to tape and beef it up you can assing it to a seperate output for processing. I tend to use the drums on my E-mu expansion cards more than those on my Roland XP-5080, my Korg Karma, or even GigaStudio. If you have access to Dxi or VST instruments check out Battery. This is a cheap and very good source for drum sounds and can import many formats.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived