Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HELP - Kurzweil K2500 sequencing problem

Bubbajazz

I'm having a problem with master sequencing in my k2500.

I've been assembling parts of a song, then chaining them in Arrange. The individual parts (sub-sequences) seem to work fine - no issues arise.

When assembled and Arranged in a master sequence, however, I develop some difficult time problems - the sequence slows down, the simultaneous hits become unsynchronized, and I get some display changes - slow screen changes, and the flashing track monitor lights window-shade on and off in slo-mo.

All controller data has been stripped out, so I don't think it's a data stream issue. I have OS 2.80 (no KDFX), and recently installed PROM, so amount of memory shouldn't be an issue either. I am only running 6 tracks, moderate tempo, and everything is quantized to 16th triplet, so it doesn't seem like there is that much data in the pipeline.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you haven't yet, save everything, patches, master setup and sequences, and do a complete refresh so that the Kurz resets to original condition and clears memory. The Kurz is a computer, and sometimes it needs a reboot too. That restored a sample board that decided to "disappear" on me one day. Reload everything and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work, seek professional help. Hopefully someone will add something else here.
This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Try a reset like Synthguy suggested. If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to take a look at your sequence to see if I can find the problem.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

It's going to be a long night...

Did a hard reset - still the same problem with the sequence. Then, I tried to save the sequence to forward to Mike (thanks for the offer). I am receiving a "problem mounting disk" error. Suggestions?

Floppies themselves are sometimes tempermental. We forget this because we rarely use them on our computers anymore. Simply remove the disk and re-insert it and try again. If it continues try another disk.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Without seeing the sequence, I would expect that there is tons of program changes, Volume settings, Pan etc. at the beginning of each segment in the arrangement. Try removing any data that is not needed. The processor is probably trying to crunch tons of data on beat one. If you are not changing programs on each segment, remove all but the first one. I would imagine that you will find tons of extra stuff at the beginning of each 1:0:000

Take Care,

George Hamilton

Yamaha US

Thanks, George. I'll let you know after I look into it tonight.

Just an observation - I appreciate you and Mike monitoring this, and your responses back. I've raised other mfr. addressable issues re: their products, including one current Roger Nichols forum post that is screaming for a Yamaha rep to respond (and they'll get a guaranteed sale if they will only answer my question.) Just confirms my Kurzweil purchase decision. I appreciate your help and diligence.

Well, I stripped out all but the starting data. The problem persists. One more symptom - the sequencer is tough to stop.

I've emailed both George and Mike with the sequences attached. I really appreciate everyone's help.

It appears that your arrangement is 1 beat long. Even though the song plays from beginning to end, the sequencer is resetting it's self on every beat. Try making your arrangement 99 measures. It worked for me.

Take Care,

George Hamilton

Yamaha US

Archived