Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Accuracy of electronic tuners?

Byrdman

Most guitarists seem to use elecronic tuners these days. Its a terrible way to learn but as a practical matter when gigging, its the only way to go.

However, how accurate are they? I know my main synth and my module disagree about where A=440 is by about 1.7 Hz, or 7 cents (one machine measures one, the other the other).

So if I tune up these to each other, which one is off? Just as importantly if I buy a tuner to check them, is it going to match a tuner owned by a guitarist or are they all over the place too?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Byrdman:

Most guitarists seem to use elecronic tuners these days. Its a terrible way to learn but as a practical matter when gigging, its the only way to go.

However, how accurate are they? I know my main synth and my module disagree about where A=440 is by about 1.7 Hz, or 7 cents (one machine measures one, the other the other).

So if I tune up these to each other, which one is off? Just as importantly if I buy a tuner to check them, is it going to match a tuner owned by a guitarist or are they all over the place too?

What`s up Birdman,

I`ve been repairing electronics almost like forever. And I know that even if you hook up two freq counters from the same manufactor they won`t read exactly the same freq. If your synth and module read that close, I would just go with it. Most bands just tune to the keyboard and leave it at that. Just because they believe the keys(organ) don`t drift, and even if it did, there is probably no way to tune it. If you want to accurately check your tuning module, take it to a couple of audio repair shops and ask the guys if they will measure its frequency response. Two or three shops should be okay, take the average and call it GOOD. Oh yeah, only if they have digital counter and generators. Analog equiptment is prone to operator judgement. The final check should be with your P.C. It should be able to generate a signal within 0.5% of 440. Casey

"Let It Be!"

Crytal clocks can vary tremendously with temp., humidity and age.

For studio work, get a strob-tuner is a good investment. For live, Peterson currently makes the best "hand held" (it's a bit large for that description, but still portable.

Peterson has tons of tuner info on their website, and it's pretty accurate. Don't have the url handy, but it should be easy to get with a seach.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: Allan Speers ]

Originally posted by kcbass:

What`s up Birdman,

It should be able to generate a signal within 0.5% of 440. Casey

I should have explained that I was tuning them up by ear, not with a frequency counter. Its repeatable across samples too - at first I thought it might just be the piano samples that disagreed.

0.5% is 2.2Hz at 440, which is more than the error I see.

Petersen claim their tuners are accurate to 1/10 of a cent. That is about 0.01% accuracy. Not sure I believe that is the accuracy and not the resolution, though. Guess I am going to have to go down my local music shop and do some experiments.

Found the web site of peterson tuners at www.petersentuners.com (weirdly enough :-) ). Thanks for the pointer Allan.

I noticed the same thing years ago. My tuning was a little flat from the keyboards even though I used the tuner.

I started tuning to 441 or whatever the first line is after the 0 point and I've always been in tune with keyboard players ever since. I'm talking from a guitar standpoint so with keys I'm not quite sure.

I'm responding to this post wearing my guitarist hat. I have perfect pitch, and I've long been aware that most tuners are slightly off based on relative intonation. That perfect 440Hz A might not make you in tune with the keyboardist, which is what people are going to notice more than if you're all tuned to a slightly different tonal center.

Anyway, I use tham as a very fast point of visual reference, especially if I don't want an audience to hear me tuning or I can't hear myself well enough so that the visual reference is better. But I always tweak my tuning after I've tuned with a tuner to line up better with the rest of the band.

- Jeff

Archived