Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Kurzweil ever going to come out with the PC2X128???

sweibel

Since there seem to a few Kurzweil guys hanging out here (Mike Martin & George Hamilton), here's my question:

When or will Kurzweil ever come out with a PC2X with the 128-polyphony option(and possibly an expansion board or 2) as a standard product (like with the PC88mx with built in VGM board)? Will this ever happen? As a former PC88mx user, that might sway me to get a PC2X128. I don't really see how come you'd have to get a PC2X and then spend more money for the option to get full polyphony.

Stefan

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lemme see if I can help with this one. I'm a former Kurzweil employee - does that count? ;)

A whole other product represents a bunch of different things. New packaging, new graphics, etc. However, the most important thing that it represents is its own set of manufacturing projections - how many 64 voice ones do they build, and how many 128 voice ones? There's not really any concrete way of gauging this, unfortunately. Suppose they guess wrong, and end up with too many of one, and not enough of the other? That'd be bad...plus, since the PC2 comes in 76 and 88 key versions as well as a rack version, this potential problem is tripled...

The expandability option pretty much eliminates this problem.

Next, you may ask - wouldn't everyone want the 128 voice version? Not necessarily. There are folks who would rather save money and get a 64 voice model. If a manufacturer offers a 64 voice model and an expansion board, they take care of both customers in a manner that is the least expensive and most efficient.

Besides, I believe a PC2X with an XP-1 expansion board gives you the exact product for which you're looking - I'm not sure that offering it to you in a complete package would necessarily save you any money or offer any other advantage.

That's my understanding of the situation - of course, I could be way off base. Kurz guys?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Next question.

What are the sonic differences between the PC2 and K2600? I am not speaking of programming possibilities or number of effects. Do they use the same DA converters, engine, samples? Will an expansion board on the PC2 sound the same as it would in the K2600? If so it seems like a nice way to take a bit of load off of your K2600, thus making it a good investment for a cheap start and long term use.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

In regards to the first post, I agree with everything that has been said so far. Don't forget that unlike the PC88 series, the PC2 series has USER INSTALLABLE options. In order to make a PC88 into a PC88MX it had to be taken to a service center. PC2 upgrades can be done by the end user.

In regards to the latest questions.

No the PC2 and K2600 do not have the same converters, engine or samples. In many respects the audio quality of the PC2 is superior, but it lacks the flexibility of VAST. You should take a listen for yourself.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Originally posted by Mike Martin - Kurzweil:

In many respects the audio quality of the PC2 is superior, but it lacks the flexibility of VAST. You should take a listen for yourself.

That makes it awfully hard to drop the extra two grand on the K2600, VAST or no VAST.

That was a huge oversimplification by myself. The flexibility and power of the K2600 is unmatched by any other instrument today. The VAST engine, Triple Modular Processing, the expandability, resampling, live mode, RAM tracks...and certainly much much more.

The bottom line is that the two instruments sound different, not the same. The prime example of this is the new Dynamic Piano ROM expansion for the K2600 series. This uses the Triple Strike Piano from the PC2. Due to VAST, the sound is much more dynamic, alive and expressive in the K2600. Plus many more exotic timbres are available using this same sample set. Is the PC2 cleaner and quieter? YES. Does it have many other new samples that the K2600 does not have? YES.

Here is a link to a thread on another BBS on the topic of comparing the two instruments.

K2600 sound vs PC2 sound

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived