Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Anyone know anything about cars II (not transmission)

I have a phylisophical question for those who are mechanically inclined: I just bought a new truck. The owner's manual puts forth two maintenance schedules based on the type of driving you do, city or highway. The difference being the intervals, 3000 or 7500 miles respectively. My question is this: I drive roughly half city and half highway, but I'm getting highway mileage. Does that mean I'm putting highway (less) wear on my new baby, and I should follow the more wallet friendly schedule? I purposefully drive like my grammy so I can milk this thing for all it's worth. Maybe I'll call Car Talk this weekend.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been an automotive service advisor for 16 years. Trust me, the best thing you can do is to change your oil and filter every 3k miles. Like the old TV commercial used to say: "You can pay me now, or pay me later". Lee

Yep... every 3K. oil AND filter. And don't use paraffin based-oils. I think the only one on the market nowadays is Penzoil, and some of the generic ones. I might recommend valvoline, havoline or quakerstate. Also, it wouldn't hurt at all if the very first oil change was around 1500mi, and the second around 3000. Don't forget the other maintenance intervals either- i.e. flushing/changing coolant, changing belts (especially timing belt), hoses fuel filters. Good care and maintenance always pays off in the long run. My dad's real anal about this stuff, and he put about 400K miles on his last chevy truck before he sold it. Honest injun.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

OK, #1. You don't have to change at 3000 mile intervals. You must, however, use the top of the line oils and filters. That means NO "15 SECOND LUBE" JOINTS! It costs a few bucks more but is well worth the protection ot go to a reputable place, even your dealership to get the better quality. Disregard the oil because you can't check it yourself but do this. Go to your local parts store & buy one of their $1.29 oil filters and one of their top of the line $4.95 oil filters. Take the sucker home to your garage. If you don't have a garage, put lots of newspaper down or your siggy will kill your sorry ass for the mess you're going to make. Buy a hacksaw at that store too, if you don't have one already. 'K? Now, you see the end where the threaded hole is & the other little holes? Good. Cut the other end off with the hacksaw. Don't cut your damne fingers off. You'll need them for playing the radio later on. Now, once that end is off you'll be able to see the paper "media". Compare the two. If you can't see the difference, cut the other end of the filter off, using the hacksaw and being careful to not cut your fingers off. You'll need them to play the radio later. OK! You have that end off too, right? Now pull the paper media out of what's left of the filter can. It's kinda like a really long slinky thingy ain't it? Find a pair of scissors, or steal a pair from your siggy's sewing kit. (Don't get caught, you'll DIE!) Cut the paper media apart along one of the pleats. (the fold looking thingy.) Lay the paper medial out on the newspaper & stretch it out. "WHOA! DUDE! The one that cost more is like, LONGER MAN...It looks like there's more paper there dood. Ya know, there is. It's also impregnated with additives and antioxidents, along with other things that can bleed back into, and hopefully, help refresh, or assist the oil in holding back all the harmfull things that go on when your engine is running. That's probably why it's kinda yellow or tan & the cheapo cheapo productions filter is snow white. Buy the best oil & quality filters, change both at regular intervals & you'll do fine. Forget about city & freeway intervals. That's a bunch of crap. In California the freeway driving is worse that what is considered city driving. You're hitting 80-85 & have to knock 'er down to stop & then up to 25 & then stop. Then up to 50, down to 15 & up to 60. That's the shits on an engine, trans, brakes and your nerves. I manage a fleet of trucks now, mostly diesel with some gasoline. We change at 4000 mile intervals with very good live cycles. Look at these oils. Premium Oils only, not their 5 year old technology that is on sale at KMart. Mobil Shell Chevron Exxon Havoline Valvoline Best...

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

You might want to do all the work on yuor car that you can, providing it doesn't void any warantees (or could be done for free under said warantee). THis will help you to know the actual condition of your car without having to necessarially rely on technicians. I'll put a vote in (in general) for valvoline max life. I've used it in every car I've ever changed and man, it does live up to the hype, at least on my '91 taurus and old '84 cavalier. Use platinum splitfire plugs, or maybe the quad-fire plugs.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Thanks guys, I changed my oil at 1000 miles and the service guys looked at me like I was nuts (the top hat and cane didn't help). 400K huh? I bought an S-10 so that makes me feel great. I think the week link will end up being the tranny. I wanted a manual but it wasn't an option for the crew cab. Milt, you crack me up!

[quote]Originally posted by polyt: [b] I changed my oil at 1000 miles and the service guys looked at me like I was nuts (the top hat and cane didn't help).[/b][/quote]if that's the 1st 1000 miles on the engine then that was a very good idea, as someone else mentioned above. also, it's all well and good if you wanna drive like a granny all the time, but i'd say [i]please[/i] don't do it during the break in period! i'm a firm believer that if you never wind the engine out occasionally 1) you're building up gunk inside faster than you should and 2) the engine will never [i]want[/i] to rev when you really need it to...like an emergency situation. cars have personalities, and develop good and bad habits, just like their drivers. it's often surprisingly easy to tell what kind of driver someone is by driving their car.

Archived