Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording vocals

jimbyjoe

yo,

i know this is not an audio forum but hey, you guys rock :D

using my new behringer mic i got for CHRISTmas, i'm finally able to do some demo stuff. i have a moderate voice - occasionally getting lessons, but if it sucks i know what to do to fix it up. so besides singing well, how do i make my voice sound better in my demos? i'm probably leaning more towards what type of reverb to use (in detail) or eq. i'm using cubase VST and have a tenor range (a little like robbie williams). ta in advance.

pray for peace,

kendall :)

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Empress,

in two words, you can't. There isn't a way, as far as i know anyways, to do that...too much latency, etc....unless you are using a DSP equipped card that enables real-time effects while tracking....DSP Factory? i don't think it can, but i could be wrong....

Jimbyjoe,

that mic has a frequency response sort of in between a SM57 and a 58....being in very close to it is going to bump up the low end (proximity effect) quite a bit, and possibly muddy up your track, depending on how much low end is in your voice already. Experiment a bit with distance. As far as reverbs go, very dependant on the track itself. If it's kind of loungy and laid back, not a real dense mix, you can probably get a little more playful with the verbs. Try a Hall or Plate setting, maybe 1.2 - 2.0 seconds of decay depending on the tempo of the song (slower song = longer reverb tails usually). Keep the reverb at 100% wet, and adjust your send bit by bit until it sits nice and sounds great...now back it off just a hair...normally, when you're first starting to work with your voice, the temptation is to lay the reverb on ....go easy... it's there to create depth, not to put you in a cathedral everytime. For eq's, cut off as much of the real low end as you can without sounding thin..this'll leave room for drums and bass, and the low end of the guitars...a little boost around 1.6 -3.0 khz should give you a bit more presence if you need it, and if you're very careful, a high shelf eq boost (maybe 2 db or so) at around 10 or 11 kHz can give it a little air...avoid using really narrow Q's too, they can sound really odd unless you know exactly what you're doing.....and compression....don't forget that...it helps immensely. Start with a 4:1 ration, 20-40ms attack, mess around with the decay in the 125-300 ms range, again, depending on the way the vocals go, and adjust the threshold until you're getting about 4 or 5 db of compression. This should give you a decent start anyways.

Hope that helps a bit,

Cheers,

Shiver

Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Originally posted by 1Empress_Scorpio:

Hello all :)

How can i use Cubase to record an instrument or voice (live) and applying an effect (reverb)-- while recording? Is this possible and will i be able to hear it with the effects used?

thank you,

vi

The best thing is to use a hardware box. I used a lex mpx100, it works pretty well for vocals, i think.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

• 3 weeks later...

Archived