Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ALESIS QS-7 and I-BOOK: marriage or what?

Max Ventura

Hi guys. This is a topic for those familiar with Alesis packages and Macs.

I just got an Alesis QS7 (not a 7.1) and a new 500 mhz I-Book w/256 ram and OS 9.2 plus OS X.

Since the Alesis rep made me an offer for a number of Masterlinks and keyboards I kept this one for me. Maybe I should have kept the 7.1 instead, but whatever.

The question is: once i install a Midiman USB Midi interface, how do I proceed to setup? Alesis gives me a CD Rom with editors and I''d like to use the included Cubasis (which should be more than adequate for my basic sequencing needs as I use a different, non-computer system for audio tracking and rhythm patterns).

So if the CD Rom has no self-installing capability, what do I install and how?

How do I install Unisyn? Just dragging icons?

There is an Opcode OMS installer: do I need it?

There is a Free Loader thing: do I need it?

There is Sound Bridge: do I need it?

How do I setup Cubasis for use with the Midiman Midi interface and the QS7?

Also, obviously with OS X I cant do anything yet, can I?

For the little I've seen, it looks cool but won't run several 9.2 applications and not even some of its own (mail, for instance).

Thanks.

Max Ventura, Italy.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by argomax:

Hi guys. This is a topic for those familiar with Alesis packages and Macs.

You should be able to hook up the Alesis to your mac with a serial cable and get better performance than with a midi interface. Don't know about the software side - the only Mac I have is my wifes and seriously old and still running OS/8.

Originally posted by argomax:

There is a Free Loader thing: do I need it?

There is Sound Bridge: do I need it?

Hi, Max!

I do not use OMS, so I can't help you with those questions. The above ones, though, I think I can handle...

Freeloader is a very basic sysex player included so that folks would have a way to load in the additional banks of programs that came on the CD -ROM. You probably won't need it.

SoundBridge is the software that allows you to customize and burn your own flash expansion cards with samples, sequences and programs. Since the cards (which have a very specific configuration) are reportedly next to impossible to find these days, you probably don't need that either.

Enjoy your QS7!

BTW - the only differences between a 7 and a 7.1 are that the 7.1 has a bigger display (which actually shows less information than the smaller one on your 7), two extra buttons (seq start and transpose), and the output is hotter. Besides that, they're identical.

Thanks again for the dinner at your brother's place!

Buon Natale!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Rabid:

Does the 7.1 also have the better piano sample that origionally came on a seperate card?

I don't think so. AFAIK the card with the bosendorfer sample was for the qs6, which didn't have that sample (if you look at the specs it only has 8 meg vs 16 of the other ones). The 6.1 has the sample.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rabid:

Does the 7.1 also have the better piano sample that originally came on a seperate card?

Nope. It's the same one that's in the QS7.

You're probably thinking of the 6.1, which has the same stereo Bosendorfer (and exactly the same 16MB wave ROM set) as the 7, 7.1, 8 and 8.1....and the QSR as well.

The original QS6 (which only had 8MB of ROM) had a short, kinda crappy piano sample. The Stereo Grand Piano QCard was made pretty much solely for QS6 owners so they could have access to the Bosie sample if they so desired. It was redundant on the other synths.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived