Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a job...

DOS

I'm 19, I'm president of the music club at my college, I play piano and I know pianos inside out, I'm working towards my Bachelors in piano performance and I want a job in the music industry that doesn't require teaching. Is there anything out there for a musician who doesn't have a degree or doesn't play in a band? It doesn't seem that way.

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DOS:

I'm 19, I'm president of the music club at my college, I play piano and I know pianos inside out, I'm working towards my Bachelors in piano performance and I want a job in the music industry that doesn't require teaching. Is there anything out there for a musician who doesn't have a degree or doesn't play in a band? It doesn't seem that way.

Thanks,

Mike

Don't be too down on teaching. You don't really know a subject until you have taught it. Of course, I am talking about teaching at a fairly advanced level rather than to total beginners. If you can get some work as a teaching assistant at your school, grab it.

Also, get your degree. Even if you have to go part time (and this is a tough way to earn a degree, not an easy option). Right now it may not seem that relevant but over the course of years you will come to regret it if you don't finish.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Don't be too down on teaching. You don't really know a subject until you have taught it. Of course, I am talking about teaching at a fairly advanced level rather than to total beginners. If you can get some work as a teaching assistant at your school, grab it.

Also, get your degree. Even if you have to go part time (and this is a tough way to earn a degree, not an easy option). Right now it may not seem that relevant but over the course of years you will come to regret it if you don't finish.

Oh, of course I'll be getting my degree. I just need extra money for college, emergencies, and *cough* Steinways *cough*. The part time route is the only way for me right now and actually, the only reason I don't want to go into teaching is because I feel I'm only good enough to teach beginners total beginners. Thanks for your suggestions!

Mike

Archived