Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jing Chi with Robben Ford -- SF Bay Area Dates

Hey all, Robben Ford's Jing Chi project with Vinnie Colauitu and Jimmy Haslip is performing in Northern California for about a week in mid-December. Dates are Monday, Dec 9 at the Kuumbwa Jazz Center in Santa Cruz http://www.kuumbwajazz.org/ Tuesday, Dec. 10 -- Sunday, Dec. 15 at Yoshi's in Oakland http://www.yoshis.com/

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tell me about the Jing Chi project. I love Robben's playing, and everyone else you mentioned, but haven't heard this. What's different about this band than say The Blue Line or his later band. I would think it's more jazz since they're playing Kuumbwa.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

The Jing Chi album is great; it's easily the best of all those Tone Center recordings (they are the label that has lots of collaborations like this, such as Scott Henderson with Victor Wooten and Steve Smith, and Jimmy Herring with T. Lavitz, Kenny Gradney Richie Hayward) You might expect it to be jazzy but it's really not, it's just good blues-based jamming for the most part, with a kind of openness and freshness you just don't hear too much these days... in that sense it's like a jazz group, they are players that can and do stretch and respond to each other... Here's the marketing-speak thay have on the Yoshi's website: "Jing Chi is a collaboration of renowned guitarist Robben Ford, drummer Vinnie Colaiuta (Sting, Frank Zappa, Steely Dan), bassist Jimmy Haslip (Yellow Jackets, Tommy Bolin, Steely Dan). Jing Chi will be joined by keyboardist Otmario Ruiz for this Yoshi's engagement. Jing Chi brings to mind the essence of classic power trios - it's Cream crossed with the adventurous sophistication of The Tony Williams Lifetime, while still leaving room for each player's phenomenal soloing ability." The song "Going Nowhere," ironically one of the two tunes with vocals, is worth the price of the record -- it's got just the most gorgeous guitar solos on it over a simple but unusual vamp and astonishing playing by Colaiuta...

Archived