Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Peter Gabriel Alert

synthetic

There's a band called Afro Celt Sound System on Real World records that has PG performing vocals and keyboards on one of their songs. It's the best new Gabriel tune in years. It's called "When Your Falling" and it's on an album called "Volume 3: Further In Time". The rest of the album is an eclectic mix of Celtic rock, African Pop and Electronica. Worth checking out if you're still waiting for "Up" like I am.

I think I read somewhere that they're mixing Up. Oh well, all of my favorite albums take years to create. I hope it sounds better than the murky "Us".

-jl

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's hope that ol' Peter has the adventure on "Up" that made his third album such a groundbreaking release. I'm tired of Sledgehammer remakes (Steam) and the weak 'pop' stylings of his last solo album. He had the rep of being an innovator. We'll see if he brings more of that rep with the new stuff.

Are we "fans" or artists here? I think his catalog, even without Genesis, is amazing. He digs deep and with Sledgehammer figured out how to sell records and keep his unique sound. I may like some of his efforts more than others, but with his side projects, film scoring (I would say just "Passion" would be an amazing thing to do in one's life!) I understand that it will take him a while to do an album.

It's worth waiting for. Not before its time...

Originally posted by sevush:

Are we "fans" or artists here?

I would say both.

I don't fault Peter in a quest for profit, afterall he went broke during the early days of WOMAD and it took the Genesis reunion show did plenty to put him back on is feet. I'm sure he doesn't want to make the same mistake twice.

I simply don't think his last solo album was a very good commercial release. When Sledgehammer was released, it was fresh and different. Much the same for the rest of "So". The next album, IMHO, was a pale copy of "So" and didn't seem worthy of the six years he took to make it.

I recently saw Tony Levin's band with Jerry Marotta and Larry Fast. I guess it just makes me a bit nostalgic for the older Gabriel stuff, before his commercial success.

Archived