Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The All-Music Guide To Electronica

SampleFreak2

I like the book but the name "Electronica" has got to go and the name sounds stupid and old and so 1997. Do really use the word 'electronica' to cover such diverse act as Brojk, Aphex Twin and Massive Attack? I have a couple of reservations, namely some of the classic album reviews seem to completely miss the point and the 'electronica' term is a lazy expression that should only be used to describe the worst albums of Tangerine Dream. I like the book but the name Electronica has to go.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, for a musical genre (or community of genres) that invents and names a new sub-genre every three seconds (shoe gazing, detroit, detroit gazing, etc. ad nauseum), the genre is kinda begging for an umbrella term, no matter how indiscriminate or lazy it may be. Is it any worse than "college rock"? It is as useful, and as coarse, as any other broad categorization. I.A. Richards suggested that we create a new punctuation mark that essentially says to the reader "I know this word is essentially meaningless; I am using for convenience." That would come in handy when describing schools of music.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I like Howie B.'s term of "groove oriented music" to best describe the many styles and genres in electronic music. I f***ing hate "electronica". It reminds me of when the media tried to shove the Prodigy and the Chemical Brothers down our throats a few years back. You just can't put house, acid jazz, trance, etc...under one word. How retarded. Electronica=Madison Ave. marketing. Gross. ~nel

As much as some people don't like the term Electronica, it seems to be the only term that has caught on. Until there's another term that catches on widely enough that people know what you mean when you say it, it's going to be the term.

Of course, use of the term in the All Music guide title will only reinforce it.

Personally, I've got better things to worry about. At least nobody calls it "Rave Music" any more.

I wouldn't say I worry about it, or spend time really thinking about it...but if pressed I'd at least say call it "electronic" and not "electronica". At least electronic is a real word. "Rave Music" reminds me of those awful 'rave til' dawn compilations.' Funny flashback...

I dunno, ime people tend to use the word techno much more in everyday use, and electronica seems to be the marketing word... neither of these float my boat. I always tell people I make electronic music so they don't go and judge it to be like the crap from 97 or something...

Archived