Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good active direct box for bass and guitar?

Boring subject I know... I want to establish a nice, clean feed to inject bass and/or guitar directly to my A/D converters. I've been using my old Whirlwind Director passive box and either going into a mic pre or my little Mackie to get enough gain. It kinda works but it isn't too elegant. What are you guys doing to achieve this? There's gotta be a better way. I've seen the Avalon U5 (maybe the only piece of their gear I can actually almost afford!) but I'm curious to hear some more opinions... Thanks!!!
None more black.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like my Sans Amp Bass DI, but only on my old shitty Fender Bullet Bass. On the Music Man it steals the tone, while on the Fender it seems to add some. Go figure. With the Music Man I usually run the direct out from my Hartke head.
Andrew Mazzocchi

TL Audio makes the PA-1 and 2, which both do an excellent job on Bass guitar, and can be driven directly from the instrument by front panel instrument inputs. they also make the C-1, which is the same dual valve mic pre, with a dual valve compressor stage as well. Again this unit has front panel instrument inputs. An exceptional value of rthe money, these Tony Larkin design units sound great. Hope this is helpful.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I picked mine up off of Harmony Central Classifieds a few years back for about $125. New you can get 'em for just a little more. It seems to bring out the life in my crappy bass, but steal some from my nice bass. But that might be the actives in the Music Man... I dunno. See if you can go to a local music store and try one out with your bass.
Andrew Mazzocchi

I don't know about the SansAmp bass, but the one for guitar has certainly earned it's reputation for being a wonderful little amp sim. I did some live guitar work for some friends awhile back, and I borrowed a friends SansAmp (approx $150),his Boss multiFX, and a TubeScreamer. I don't think I even used the TubeScreamer much, the SansAmp gave me just the right amount of warm tube distortion, and then I could hit the TubeScreamer for more 'edge'. My playing was 'fair-good'. My sound was fantastic! People use SansAmps to run direct into recording consoles. You get that wonderfull tone of a miced amp, without the noise we normally associate with micing an amp. The Bass SansAmp is a newer model. I'm guessing it's worth a serious looking into. I am told that Behringer makes a fine direct box and they only cost about $30. They appear to be pretty well built as well.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Raven Labs make quality stuff. They have a couple direct-like boxes, I bought the PAB-1 (I think that's what it's called, I'm at work ) and I like it a lot. They also make so eq oriented boxes and a replacement tone controls for the P-Bass (which I also bought and love) raven-labs.com
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

Archived