Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you use Gigasampler?

I would like to buy gigasampler LE. Is the only I could afford soon. Could you tell me about the pros and the cons against a hardware sampler? Are you happy with it? what is the diference with the gigastudio? is really gigapiano woth pay $110?????

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Un Músico:

I would like to buy gigasampler LE. Is the only I could afford soon. Could you tell me about the pros and the cons against a hardware sampler? Are you happy with it? what is the diference with the gigastudio? is really gigapiano woth pay $110?????

A computer based sampler such as Giga Sampler/Studio, HALion, etc., does everything a hardware sampler will do, plus much more. The main advantage to computer based software samplers is that you do not have the sample size restrictions on computers like you do with memory RAM based hardware samplers. You can have sampled instruments that are gigabytes in size on a computer sampler, rather than just a few megabyte size instruments on a hardware sampler. The Nemesys Piano is worth the price, but there are several other worthwhile Giga pianos which are better, with some other great new Giga pianos, which are currently in production.

Considering you are interested in Giga sampled pianos, I would recommend Giga Studio 96 or 160, rather than Giga Sampler LE. Giga Sampler LE has limited polyphony, which is not the best situation for a larger multi velocity layer Giga sampled piano.

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

Personally, i find that hardware and software samplers are excellent in their own rights and complement very well each other. Again, these are only my personal opinion.

GigaStudio 160 is excellent for orchestral work and because of the unlimited sample length, the acoustic instruments are very realistic but if you're more into house, dance, R&B, then the Giga/Halion is still not happening. VERY limited in terms of filters, real time controllers...and most of those filters, LFO...offered, sounds like most soft synth ...VERY CHEESY.

As far as user interface, i feel the software use to be much superior but that gap is closing in rapidly with the introduction of excellent computer interface offered by many hardware samplers.

After having the luxury to try out most hardware samplers, Giga and Hallion on different live gigs, tour and studio gigs...i end up getting a gigastudio 160 and an Akai S5000 for my studio. I dedicate the Giga for Orchestral work and the S5000 gets the rest. I really love this set up and along with my other sound modules, i'm able to cover a variety of gigs, from scoring for films, multimedia projects, R&B and pop albums to live gigs.

I don't know how deep you wanna use it..

The drivers have changed in giga/logic and Motu2408 since I tried getting it to all work together.. I gave up setting up in an all in one puter.

I bought a stand alone puter for gigastudio.. I use the samples heavily and assumed that 1 computer just couldn't handle that much abuse..

The samples that have/are being created for gigastudio are the most superior samples going at this time..

Good luck

Brian

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

if you want to compare Giga fairly to other harware samplers, then dedicate a PC just for Giga along with a GOOD gsif compatible sound card.

Doing everything in one computer is really NOT happening ( for me anyways )

Originally posted by Un Músico:

How good and how easy is integrating gigasampler in cubase and/or sonar?

Are you wanting to do midi or audio, or both midi and audio with Cubase or Sonar, along with Giga?

If you are wanting to use Cubase or Sonar for midi only with Giga, either one will work fine, though with Sonar you can have internal midi routing with Giga, whereas with Cubase, you need to have a "virtual" midi in and out cable on your midi interface and designate them accordingly in your midi setups in Giga and Cubase.

For audio recording, it is much better to have dedicated computers for each task.....one for Giga, and the other for audio recording.

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

Un Musico, while it is ideal to have a dedicated giga machine, I've been getting by without one for a while. My PIII 600 with 256 MB of RAM more or less gets the job done with Gigasampler (64) and Cakewalk PA 9. On occasion, I have to capture my giga tracks as waves and close gigasampler before recording guitars and voices and the like, which is a little bit of a workaround but no major inconvenience. All I am saying is, if you can't afford to dedicate a machine to GS, don't let that discourage you from trying the program. It rocks.

As far as integration with Sonar/Cakewalk, Gigasampler's "endless wave" will automatically show up in your Midi Ports boxes in Cakewalk -- you won't need any virtual midi ports like Hubi's Loopback. I think you do need Hubi's in Cubase but I could be wrong.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived