Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yet another weighted question

DeeSquare

Here's my dilemma. I'm considering the purchase of a Yamaha S80 as

1.) something for my kids to learn on

2.) for personal use at gigs

I think the action/feel is nice, but I'm not the best judge of weighted action; I'm a B3 owner/player. I would buy a digital piano, but they are too limited with regard to controller features, sounds, etc.

From the posts on this board it sounds like the Motif 8 might be a better choice strictly from the standpoint of action and feel. Do most of you agree? However, the Motif is a bit out of my price range.

My real question to those of you in the know, how do you rate the Yamaha KX88's action/feel and controller functions when compared to the S80?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by DeeSquare:

I think the action/feel is nice, but I'm not the best judge of weighted action.

Sure you are!

To be a "good" judge of weighted action, all you need to know is one thing: do your hands like the the way that it feels and plays?

Everyone has different tastes and needs, and you're gonna be the one who's playing it - our opinions don't really count for a lot here. If you've taken the time to play a bunch of other weighted keybeds and you like the feel of the S80, you'll be fine.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks Dave! You're right of course.

What I'm really wondering is if the old KX88 feels as good or better than the S80 and how its controller functions compare. I'm able to check out the S80 in stores but I've never spent any time with the KX88. I'm thinking of picking up a used one without playing or seeing it (eBay, etc).

Thanks

I would be hesitant to buy the kx without looking at it. The action was great and the thing was well built, but the thing is > 15 years old and could be really worn out. It's been a long time, but I think the action is comparable. As far as controller features, I would think the s80 wins. Plus you got some excellent sounds and you don't need to carry around a module!

I personally like the action of the s80.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

IIRC, the KX88's interface is very cryptic. I believe it sports dual 8 segment LEDs... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Also, because the KX is so old, I'm pretty sure that you'd find it to be a bit rudimentary in terms of OS and capabilities.

I'm thinking it's possible that you're gonna be much happier with the S80...

My $.02,

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

On a similar train of thought I was wondering how the action of the Alesis QS8 compares to a straight digital piano. I haven't been able to actually try one because no dealer in my area seems to have one due to Alesis's problems. I've tried Kawai(don't recall model) and the Yamaha P200 and to my novice hands the action acurately replicates the action of a real piano. Was just wondering what the QS8 owners think.

------------------

There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

Archived