Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Soulive - incredible band featured in Keyboard

mr tunes

A few months ago I read about a band called Soulive and their new album "doin something" in Keyboard. I just wanted to recommend them to anyone looking for some original funk/groove music that has some vintage flavour. The keyboard player Neal Evans is a phenominal B-3 player, plus his other two accomplises on drums and guitar are also great. Interesting how there is no bass in the group and I think this is compensated for by using the b-3 and guitar as bass substitutes and it sounds good. Classic horn player Fred Wesley makes a few appearances throughout the album and every note he plays sounds like gold. I read somewhere that Soulive's album from 2000 had John Scofield on it. This is a Blue Note group, and their music reminds me of some of the classic Blue Note catalouge(Blue Break Beats compilations). Truly awesome jazz.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mr tunes:

A few months ago I read about a band called Soulive and their new album "doin something" in Keyboard. I just wanted to recommend them to anyone looking for some original funk/groove music that has some vintage flavour. The keyboard player Neal Evans is a phenominal B-3 player, plus his other two accomplises on drums and guitar are also great. Interesting how there is no bass in the group and I think this is compensated for by using the b-3 and guitar as bass substitutes and it sounds good. Classic horn player Fred Wesley makes a few appearances throughout the album and every note he plays sounds like gold. I read somewhere that Soulive's album from 2000 had John Scofield on it. This is a Blue Note group, and their music reminds me of some of the classic Blue Note catalouge(Blue Break Beats compilations). Truly awesome jazz.

Yo Mr Tunes..you're absolutely right!! Soulive is definitely one of the funkiest, hippest jazz/soul/r&b groups to come along in a long time.

I got their CD a couple of months ago and was really knocked out by how hip

their sound was....ESPECIALLY Neal Evans playing on "Shaheed". I love the funk groove he gets on this piece by comping behind Eric Krasnos' guitar solo...I dug it so much, that I started trying to pick it up on my keyboard by ear!!.....really hip stuff!!

------------------

Ditto, what you said, mr tunes and demitch.

Soulive's the epitome of a nasty, totally in-the-pocket Hammond organ trio. So tasty....and whoa, do they cook!

Was thinkin' that Neal's sorta to Chester Thompson what Joey DeFrancesco is to Jimmy Smith. His left-hand bass-playing is particularly phenomenal.

What an inspiration. Way to go, you guys!

wow! i guess it takes all kinds.....

here in nyc they're more often referred to as "soul jive". reminiscent of some of the older greyboy allstars records but not NEARLY as funky! you guys should check out medeski, martin & wood. or tower of power. or the meters.

of course thats just my opinion.....

cool dexternyc. glad you chimed in.

There are tons of funky bands in nyc.

Who'd you recommend?

Please give us some examples of nyc bands that are acknowledged for the sheer excellence of their funk music.

Who's playin' "soul jive" there?

Each of the bands you previously mentioned are, indeed, at the top of their pocket. Thanks.

Originally posted by dexternyc:

wow! i guess it takes all kinds.....

here in nyc they're more often referred to as "soul jive". reminiscent of some of the older greyboy allstars records but not NEARLY as funky! you guys should check out medeski, martin & wood. or tower of power. or the meters.

of course thats just my opinion.....

I'd have to agree. I've listened to some of their MP3.com stuff, although it's OK, it isn't as stellar as the hype. It hasn't made me go out & buy a CD. Although the left hand bass is better than anything I can do, the rest of it doesn't light me up. If there was a solo from the Hammond player, it couldn't have been much, because I can't remember it. Check out Niacin, line up of John Novello, Billy Sheehan & Dennis Chambers. It's not in the funky, soul vein but these guys happen. No guitar player, just keys, drums & bass. 98% B-3, some pianos, & synth. They have 3 studio CD's & 1 live. I originally heard some cuts having to with a Master Class in Keyboard Mag & I ordered 2 of the CD's from Tower Records. They cost me $75 Can to get them here. Once I heard them I would have paid what ever it took to get them here. Then I ordered the other 2. You can go on line & listen to snippets at Tower Records. Nice presentation, well recorded, enthusiastic playing. After 3 years, these CD's are still some of my go to stuff when I want to be inspired to record something of my own.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Archived