Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can the Virus do this?

DailyGrind

I've really grown to like the price/performance ratio of the Virus kb and plan on purchasing it as my only synth action keyboard/controller. I really like the demos I've downloaded off the web as well, but I haven't heard anything that I would classify as classic Kitaro-like analog. I'm a newbie when it comes to synthesis so the best way I can illustrate what I'm looking for is an mp3 off the Clavia website:

http://www.clavia.se/nordlead3/files/MP3/Analogue%20part%20one.mp3

Is the Virus capable of getting these softer analog type sounds (especially the lead sounds in that mp3) or is it geared primarily towards the harder edged techno/electronic type sounds? I've pretty much decided on purchasing the Virus either way but I want to know if I'm going to need to purchase something like a nord micro-modular to add the sound I'm looking for to my pallette (one of my friends want to sell me his) or if the Virus is capable of producing this sound even though none of the demos I've heard illustrate it...

Thanks!

Peter

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the Virus can create those soft sounds...in fact, I think my Virus b can achieve a tone as smooth as my Nord Modular. The Virus can also rip in a very musical fashion, so the demos like to show that off.

Having said that, I think everyone should own at least a Nord MicroMod! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

The timbres are just too cool, and it makes a great effects box as well.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Aeon,

Thanks for the confirmation, that definitely makes me feel better about my decision to purchase the Virus. I would definitely like to have a virtual modular synth as well so right now trying to decide between picking up a used nord modular, micro-modular or a creamware pulsar system since it has a modular as well as wavetable, vector and several VA synths.

The micro-modular sounds like a great deal if I'm only going to use it to generate weird noises/effects or as a monophonic synth but the fact that it's not multi-timbral and has 4 voice polyphony (best case) and isn't upgradeable is making me want to look for something else. I'm sure after using it for a while I'd come up with enough cool patches that I'd wish I had gone for the full-blown modular or the pulsar system...

Thanks!

Peter

Because the MicroMod can have discrete signal paths within a single patch, it can be multi-timbral in the sense that it can create multiple distinct timbres at once...but true, it does not have sound-per-MIDI channel multitimbral functionality. Also, clever programming can get far more poly than 4 voices out of the unit. Some of the programmers on the Nord Mod mailing list have created patches with over 15 voices that sound great... but of course, there are always tradeoffs when doing this kind of skullduggery.

Having said that, the number of people who started with a Micro Mod and then later moved to a full Nord Modular are legion, so your intuition is on-point. After I got my Nord Mod keys, I ordered the DSP-expander in short order...it is really the bizness for me.

And while I have no personal experience with the Creamware Modular, I have heard a lot of hearsay from people who have compared and contrasted the Creamware Modular and the Nord Modular, and the vote is unanimous...go with the Nord. You could probably search the mailing list archives for the details.

I also think the Nord Mod and Virus make a great pair. Good luck!

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Archived