Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GigaStudio Users

Marvster

Hey Guys,

Any advice on an ideal GigaStudio setup? I'll probably start with GigaStudio 96, a dedicated PC, and a GSIF soundcard (the plan is to run lightpipe out of the soundcard into my 01V). Main questions are:

1) Which OS? I'd love to run Win 2000, but that version doesn't seem to be available yet.

2) Do I need something with a Pentium engine, or will Celeron or Athlon work fine?

3) Is GigaStudio particularly picky about hard drives?

4) Which soundcard? Definitely needs lightpipe, but don't need tons of analog I/O. Also needs to fully support GSIF and be as low latency as possible.

Thanks for any help, guys (if even to warn me *off* of certain products). After years of being a hardware sampler devotee, I think it's time to switch.

Marv

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marv, by no measn is this a "take your question elsewhere" reply. I'm a Gigasampler user and lover, and I know there are others here too. I just wanted to point you to northernsounds.com if you haven't already been there. IMO, the forum there is the definitive discussion on all things giga. Most of the major giga sample developers--Nick Phoenix, Dan Dean, Donnie from DS, and lots more, hang out there. They have separate discussions on libraries, software issues, and soundcards.

Apologies for potentially driving traffic (eyeballs? mindshare?) off the musicplayer site! I just honestly think northernsounds is the premiere resource for gigasampler/studio inquiries. Actually, now that Nemesys has be acquired by Tascam, our own Tascam guy Jeff could probably do a swell job of informally moderating giga discussion.

BTW, my answers are:

1. Use Win 98se. They've been talking about a 2000 version for a while. I wouldn't want be a first generation user of that. Ideally, you'd have a dedicated giga machine. I don't, and GS plays fairly well with my Cakewalk DAW.

2. Hard drive speed is important. ATA 66 is fine (I use ATA33 and it's adequate) and obviously 7200 rpm. Can you even find less these days?

3. Soundcard: The nemesys site has a list of GSIF compatible cards. You've probably seen that. I know they used to bundle with egosys, I think. But if analog I/O is not a big issues, I would certainly recommend looking into the RME stuff, which is very highlly regarded. And also maybe the Frontier Design units. MOTU and MAudio also make solutions for your problem, but with MAudio, I think you'd need to buy their add-on card for lightpipe.

4. What was the other question? I don't have your post in front of me...

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I runa dedicated P3 system for gigastudio96.. I should've went with 160.. I had this machine made for me for audio.. It runs raid ide drives.. 2 of them + the os drive.. They are all ata100 drives that share the load.. I run 98se too.. And a run the MOTU 2408 card with it.. 24adat, or 24 tdif, plus 2 spdif makes this a great system.. Motu has updated their drivers.. They are quick.. I paid $4400 Canadian for this premade system.(which included a 2408 a midman 8x8 and the gigastudio 96.. It's also in a rack too.. Can't emphasis that this system is huge..

Brian

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

My main Giga PC is a Pentium III, Gig processor, with an ABIT Raid mother board. I do not use any Raid configurations on any of my hard drives. I have two CD devices and six internal 7200 RPM IDE drives all working independently, two external SCUSI drives connected to an Adaptec 19160 PCI SCUSI card, and two external firewire hard drives. For the type of work that I do, I use the majority of these drives for storage and backup of thousands of edited wave files of Giga instruments that I produce. I use a Frontier Design Wave Center PCI card for digital i/o and Apogee converters. I find Window 98 SE to be extremely stable with this setup running Giga Studio 160, and have no intentions of upgrading to 2000 with the next upgraded release of Giga Studio, which will be 2000 XP compatible. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

A place called Forefront Graphics in Markam On. Canada

(416)636-4444 ask for Fred..

Unfortunately you need to actually purchase a system through a music store (Long n Mcquade).. But I talked with Fred to make sure everything was done right..

I love it sooo much I bought a second system from them too.. For logic audio.. Again I run the 2408 on it and a MOTU midi timepiece av.. It's comin really soon.. It's around $3000 with a dual maxtron card with a switcher, 3 7200 seagate atat100 drives(2 on the raid again). an adaptec scsi card installing a seagate 10000k drive( I had).. 1 gig processor with 1 gig ram.. This baby's gonna fly.. Again 98se

I was aimin for major reliable city.. I think it's comin..

Brian

Sorry I just noticed that you are from California.. There are some premade giga puters floating around.. I can't think of the state's one.. There is..

I can't emphasize how nice it is to order.. Wait 2 weeks and get a system that works... I haven't seen a crash or fiddled with bios etc. since.. I am using it..

Brian

This message has been edited by seclusion on 09-23-2001 at 09:07 AM

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

You might want to check out the pre-configured Gigas from places like Soundchaser.com (i think), as well as a couple others (saw it in the magazine). One of the moderators at the Giga forums got his there and was Athlon based, and he said it screamed and had no problems. Might be worth the extra money if you're new at this. I personally went through some major shit getting my system up and running, but my budget made it necessary.

Raul

Raul

Archived