Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

88-Key Controller Shootout

sweibel

Feedback wanted...

Okay, I know this topic must have been discussed before but anyway...

I'm looking into getting a 88-weighted Key MIDI controller to replace my aging Kurzweil PC88mx. My criteria are the usual:

-keyboard feel

-price

-features, sounds

-weight and other physical dimensions

Here are some of the boards I am looking at:

Roland RD-700

Roland XV-88

Kurzweil PC2X

Korg Triton ProX

I'd be very interested to hear about anyone's experience with the Roland units. I have never owned a Roland device so I am a little drawn to maybe incorporating the Roland sound into my sonic palette. From my research of Roland's website I can't really find out what the main, big difference is between the XV and RD series. I know that RD is their "road piano" series but is there a significant difference in their sound engine? I've played XV-88 and was pretty happy with the way the keys felt.

Although I like the Kurz PC88mx, its user interface always seemed a little tedious for no apparent benefit. Having that small LCD didn't help either. I've played the PC2X and was a little underwhelmed at the generational improvement over the PC88mx (although I like the digital out and the balanced analog outs). Also, it only has 64 voice polyphony, so I wonder if it would be better to wait for a PC2X mx (or whatever it will be named) and see what its price point is.

The TritonProX is the most expensive of the bunch, maybe even beyond my budget (but aren't we all supposed to go out a spend some serious cash?). For people who own it: how does the keyboard feel? Nicely weighted, responsive? Worth the $$$?

Any advice would be great. Thanks all and stay safe!!

Stefan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dave,

I have actually never seen or played the Yamaha S-80. None of the stores I frequent in LA carry it.

The past weekend I got to play the Motif (the 76-key version). Its footprint is huge and it looks like it weighs a ton. Not very functional. Its sound was kinda dull, not very inspiring. Don't know why but I have this bias toward Yamaha equipment... never wanted to own one of their synths.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Roland boards????

Well...the S80 has GREAT piano action, incredible sounds (both bread & butter and out-there, it's expandible, it uses smart media cards instead of shit floppies, it's a great midi controller, and it's cheap! At least check it out! It would be quite stupid to consider a Triton ProX at what....like $3000 without trying out the S80 at $1400. I've played both and I gotta tell you....the S80 blows the Triton away. Now the Triton has like a SHITload more features, plus touch screen, etc. but it's more than twice as much! And the 88weighted action doesnt even compare. It has a sequencer, sampler, etc. and the S80 does not... but you just said you need an 88 weighted controller with good sounds... = S80. or PC2x... of course it's more money and has no expansion cards out yet...

its up to you but do yourself a favor and try it out. Oh yeah and I havent played the RD700(although I would like to...) I have played the XV-88 and was very impressed. But while it is has damn good sounds and a damn good piano feel, I just couldn't justify the price... $2500 over the S80's $1400.... if the XV-88 was like $1700 or something, then it would be better... just my opinion...

I kind of agree with ARF on Roland's pricing - I think that a lot of their stuff costs too much for what you get, especially considering what else is available. I haven't bought a piece of Roland gear in years. I might get that HandSonic thing when it comes down in price - as Roland gear ALWAYS seems to do.

You really should consider giving the S80 a listen. If I was in the market for an 88, that'd probably be the one I'd get. It sounds great, feels really nice and it has a small footprint and doesn't weigh a lot. Additionally, it gives you the option to add expansion boards that not only add new sounds, but also add more voices of polyphony and different synth engines. Very, very cool.

Plus, the thing lists for $1,995 - you gotta love that. Check it out - I'll betcha GC on Sunset or Ash has one that you can play - doesn't West LA Music have one?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by sweibel@emerson.edu:

I've played the PC2X and was a little underwhelmed at the generational improvement over the PC88mx (although I like the digital out and the balanced analog outs). Also, it only has 64 voice polyphony, so I wonder if it would be better to wait for a PC2X mx (or whatever it will be named) and see what its price point is.

You can upgrade the PC2's polyphony to 128 with the Kurzweil PEO 64-Voice Expansion Board. Zzounds.com sells it for $349.00

Being a happy owner of a cs6x, if I was in the same boat as you I would choose the s80 any day.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I was in your postion awhilew back and chose the s-80 and I'm happy I did . The next thnig I did was buy a xv 5080 , and that's what I play out with I bought mine at SAM ASH for $ 1295.00 . They matched a price I found on the net and that was that . hope this helps

Thanks everyone for their feedback

I would have never thought of the S-80 (I don't remember seeing it at West LA music in Universal City). I'll have to give it a try.

Note to the Kurzweil PC2X:

Having to fork out another $300 for the voice expansion board for the PC2X for an additional 64 voices just doesn't seem right. The standard unit already is pretty expensive. I just can't help but think that Kurzweil stuff, even though pretty awesome sounding, is just way too expensive. How is that expansion board installed anyway? I bet you it has to be performed by a service technician which will also cost a bit.

stefan

Originally posted by sweibel@emerson.edu:

Having to fork out another $300 for the voice expansion board for the PC2X for an additional 64 voices just doesn't seem right.

The S80 is also only 64 voices.

...only 64 voices - geez. You've gotta love technology. Remember when 64 was a boatload? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

It can be expanded to 192 voices if you put in the right expansion boards (piano and GM each add 64, IIRC), but you also get a bunch more sound ROM with each of them. I think they're each less than $300 list, if memory serves.

Me, I'd probably go with the piano expansion, and the analog modelling expansion. You'll still come in significantly under anything else in the price range, except for maybe the QS8.1 (which is a bit of a risky buy these days).

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

How is that expansion board installed anyway? I bet you it has to be performed by a service technician which will also cost a bit.

All options on the PC2 series are USER installable!

------------------

Mike Martin

Kurzweil Music Systems

http://www.kurzweilconneciton.com

KeySolutions Sample Libraries

http://members.aol.com/keysolutns

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I wouldn't go for the Piano expansion on the S80... from what I hear it's not too special.... plus the S80 already has GREAT pianos... it probably doesnt offer anything the S80 doesn't already have stock...

I would definately check out the AN plugin.... and I hear the VL is incredible sounding, though you can only play 1 note! That sucks!

Originally posted by spinichARF:

I would definately check out the AN plugin.... and I hear the VL is incredible sounding, though you can only play 1 note! That sucks!

Not too sound like a smart ass, but that is kind of the point. How many notes can ANY woodwind instrument play? Plus that thing is very DSP intensive, so that's probably why.

I'm in the process of ordering the AN plug in card. Checked out a lot of the stores here in the area and they had NONE in stock. 'Sure, we can order it for you, 5-10 days'... what's the point? I've gotten my stuff from MF faster than that. I may get the dx card too, since believe it or not I still like how the dx7 sounds http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Just wanted to put my vote in for the S-80. I don't have one but have played it many times and really like the action. I do have an XV-88, and I don't particularly like the action on that. It feels kind of clackity to me if that makes any sense. The S-80's is smoother and more piano like in my opinion. I have a Motif 8, and I like the action on that. It has the piano plug in, VL plug in and AN plug in and here's what I think about those...

PF Piano board. When would you need more than 64 voices of polyphony for a piano? The PF gives you an extra 64 piano voices for voices included on the card, but I doubt you would ever need more than 64 voices of the sounds on that card. Better to use the great piano sounds with 64 voices already on the S-80 stock board.

AN Analog Board. 5 voice polyphony of really, really good analog sounds. Keep in mind that the wide variety of wonderful CS6X sounds are completely compatible with the S-80 and can be loaded into the S-80. Unless you don't want to find and load those sounds into the S-80, I'm not sure that the AN board is a great investment for that board.

VL Virtual Acoustic Modeling Board - Monophonic, but really nice sounds and even better with a breath controller. Worth putting in to get the extra synthesis engine and variety of sounds. Sure, you can't do an orchestra section with it, but for solo voices it's really nice.

So, I would go with an S-80 and a VL board. I'd pass on the AN and PF board. However, you may want to consider the DX board, which would add an FM synthesis engine to your S-80 and give you many interesting FM sounds on top of the others. I think the VL and DX would be the best use of the two available slots on the S-80.

Hope that helps,

Roland

Sweibel,

It surprises me that you were not impressed by the PC2x, I was in your position about 8 months ago. I tried everytthing from the 2600 to the triton proX. I found nothing with sonic quality of the PC2x. Dont get me wrong I'd like to have greater selection of presets , but sonically the unit is awesome, liked the fidelity even better then the 2600. My second choice was the S80.

Carl

Archived