Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland P330 Piano Module

Mr Blab Blab Bla

I'm thinking of selling my Roland RD300s as its too big and don't have the space anymore. I've come across a P330 at a reasonable price but don't know its specs.

Is it exactly the same as the RD300s or is it a repackaged MKS-20?

What are the fx (if any) inside, ie EQ, chorus, tremolo etc??

Thanks

Neil

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The P-330 is a 1 space rack mount piano module similar in sound and function to the Roland RD300 & RD250 series digital SA pianos.

Features include 3 effects: chorus, tremolo, and EQ, as well as 16 voice polyphony. Sounds are 3 acoustic piano sounds, harpsichord, clavi, vibes, and 2 electric pianos.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Neil,

I have a P-330 and love it! If you can get your hands on one, grab it. I am not sure of its lineage; all I know is that it is perhaps one of the best piano modules you can find. NO effects, ust EQ, Chorus and tremelo...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I know you are after info on the P330 but.....The Roland JV1010 has been dominating the module market for quite some time now . WHy ??? Under $400.00 and over 1200 sounds with the abiliy to add an expansion card . Before you buy used ...check this little half rack out ! It's a powerful module for a little bit of money ! dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Yeah thanks, but i really like the sounds in the RD300s and so I'm looking for a cheap way to keep those sounds so I can sell the keyboard.

its a weird thing hanging onto digital piano technology of the 80s, but I'm so disattisfied with all attempts thus far. My Korg SG rack sucks beyond belief....

The RD300s sounds sweet with a bit of reverb... and is soooo expressive.

peace

neil

Originally posted by neil loughran:

great replies guys, whats the EQ section like? Is it just a simple Brilliance slider like the RD300s or is it more akin to the old MKS-20 EQ?

Nothing spectacular or complex, just simple bass and treble controls and velocity settings. Several different piano and EP samples that are great sounding. I like the EP patches-very smooth sounding.

The post about the the JV-1010 is a good point-I also have one, but there is something about owning a piece of "vintage" Roland gear. I've had mine since 1989 or so (not sure exactly when I got it, but I know I've had it for more than 10 years) and I still use it on my tracks.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I had a RD250S for many years & I was glad to get rid of the weight. The thing weighed a ton with a hard shell case. Don't get a JV1010. I have one. Pianos are lame. You'll end up adding a piano card to it. I know a lot of guys that still use an RD300 but they do mix its acoustic piano sound with another piano sound from a module. After all these years they still prefer the electric piano sound to anything else.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I have an RD250s and it is a very heavy beast, I'm glad I don't have to lug it around to shows. I've owned some sampled piano modules since I bought the 250s but none were as satisfying to play. The sounds aren't as realistic as todays sampled piano sounds are, especially in the lower notes....but there is just something about the sound that works well in a mix of guitars. It has unique sounds and that is why I will continue to play mine.

Does anyone know if the sounds of these Roland digital pianos(MKS-20, RD1000, RD250, P330) are sampling and additive synthesis, or just sampling. Roland called it SAS technology but I don't know if it was just a fancy explaination for sampling.

Hi, I was looking to see if anyone had answered my questions and I saw your posting. I owned a P330 when I lived in the US. It has the best Fender Rhodes and Dx7/FM El Piano sounds as far as I'm concerned. The acoustic piano patch is pretty bad, but I used to work an entire job with those two basic P330 sounds (Rhodes equivalent and the Dx7 Electric Piano equivalent). There are five basic sounds on that module if my memory is correct (Rhodes, DX7/FM, Vibes, Harpsichord, Acoustic - those are my descriptions).

I think I paid $300 for it back in 1989(?) or so and would love to have it back.

Buy it - don't pay more than $200 and you'll be happy.

All the best, Dave Horne - The Netherlands

Originally posted by neil loughran:

I'm thinking of selling my Roland RD300s as its too big and don't have the space anymore. I've come across a P330 at a reasonable price but don't know its specs.

Is it exactly the same as the RD300s or is it a repackaged MKS-20?

What are the fx (if any) inside, ie EQ, chorus, tremolo etc??

Thanks

Neil

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Hi, I see that I didn't answer your question. The P330 comes with (according to my memory) chorus, tremolo and EQ control. You have more than enough control over the sounds. You will be happy _if_ you are looking only for electric piano sounds. The vibe sound is excellent, but they seem to be easy to recreate (as is the harpsichord).

Good luck ... feel free to contact me after you buy it. I really wish I had mine. I sold mine for $125. People ask up to $400 which I feel is crazy. I figure $200 - 250 is reasonable and $100 would be a bargain.

All the best, Dave Horne - The Netherlands

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Yeah I've been offered one for 150 UK pounds. I'm just happy to be able to call upon those sounds should the occasion arise.

Its worth noting I tried the RD300 today for the first time with a decent reverb (a Boss SE-70) and I was surprised by how good that sound still is.. I then tried the Korg SG Rack Piano with its own FX off and going through the same unit... talk about anaemic..

Peace

neil

Neil, I'm pretty good about saving things and it's quite possible I have my original owner's manual for my old P330. Contact me privately and I can arrange to send it to you if I still have it.

It's really a very easy piece of equipment to work with. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the power supply is built in and that's why I didn't bring it with me from the US. A few years ago I spoke with a tech for Roland in Belguim and he had never seen a P330, but was willing to convert one for me (which I didn't have) if he could get his hands on a schematic.

This is off the thread - for an acoustic piano sound, I use Wm Coakley's Perfect Piano Vol 3 with my Akai S5000 sampler. It doesn't have a tremdous dynamic range (at least with my midi controller, a Roland A80), but it reall does sound excellent on jobs (going through two Bose 802s).

Good luck with your P330 - I know you'll like it.

Later, Dave Horne - The Netherlands

Archived