Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

keybaord stand for 88-key synth

pete psingpy

What's the best kind of stand for an 88 key board? I'm looking to get a stand for a yamaha S80 (50 lbs). I also need a second tier for a 61 key synth. I like the table top style, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. I need something very stable, and with adjustable height for playing standing or sitting (although almost always it will be for seated playing and will sit in a room at home).

I like how the Ultra KKS100 looks and I also like the price. Anyone have any experience with it and know how solid and rugged it is? Problem is I don't think there's a second tier attachment.

Thanks,

Pete

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the Quik-Lok Z-726L and it works well...I have a Roland RD250s digital piano on the bottom and even though it's only 76-keys it's VERY heavy. It's a really well built stand IMHO. I bought mine from zzounds.com for $180.

There are two models, the Z726 and Z726L. The Z726 bottom tier has a width of 34" and the Z726L is 44". If you are using an 88-note keyboard I think the Z726L would be the most stable because of the longer width.

Good luck.

This message has been edited by SteveRB on 09-07-2001 at 11:40 AM

I use a standard 3 tier quick lok, opened wide so that the bottom is good for sitting position. I then put a piece of plywood on top of the two supports, and layed my pc88mx on top. It was cheaper than buying another stand. I use the top two tiers as shelves, it works pretty nice. I like keeping modules at eye height wrt the controller.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

You can also check out the WS550 from Quik Lok . You can add a second tear . What I like about this stand is that it has 4 legs ! It doesn't wobble .

However, webbles wobble and they won't fall down . WS550 check it out at quik lok web site . dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Originally posted by kduane:

Been using the ULTIMATE for several years-I have a DX7 on top and

a Qs8.1 on the bottom--both of those suckers are heavy--no problem.

How much does the QS8.1 weigh? Here's a dumb question though...can you use the Ultimate for seated playing? It looks from the pictures that the frame would interfere with your legs and feet...and is the elevation adjustable?

thanks

I have it positioned for seated play at home and when I go out I can adjust

it up for standing, the Alesis weighs about 60 pounds, and sometimes it

feels as if the DX7 aint' much lighter---no problem with the feet, in fact I find the legs useful. Keep the Keyboard at the front edge of the tribars

and you will be fine.

I also use the Ultimate support stand and I use a Yamaha Pf-P100.

At some gigs I have been known to stand on top as well and it never looks like its gonna fall.

The only thing with the Ultimate stand is if you are a piano playe you cant get the pedals where they should be, it looks cool though.

Should I be concerned with a stand supporting the middle of a heavy keyboard like the yamaha s80? Can heavy playing of the middle register over time do any damage to the board if the center isn't supported? I like the Z frames for stability but the keyboard is only supported at the ends like the X style. The Ultimate does provide support at the middle. It looks the Ultra KKS100 has a platform that supports the whole length.

I have used a QL Z-series (728?) as a triple-tier stand for a long time. This will support three fairly heavy boards very well. (The third tier was a purchased option) I also have the Mic boom attachment that fits onto the third tier.

It holds an Alesis QS8.1, a Hammond XK-2, and a Yamaha W-5 very sturdily, and it gets setup/broken down and thrown in the truck several times a month. Sure, it is getting a little banged up, but it is still solid as a rock. They are also very fair about the pricing of replacement parts. (I have lost parts before)

The QS 8.1 is a solid board. just being supported at the ends is not going to hurt it, unless you try standing on top of it...

Besides 3 keyboards, this stand has also taken the full weight of several stumbling drunks crashing into it from the dance floor.

The only thing I don't like about the QL Z series at times is the flat contact with the floor (bottom of the 'Z'). When I set it up on the common uneven stage, I need to dig into my bag of tricks and pull out a couple wooden construction wedges to make the base stable against the floor.

-Gregg

Archived