Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend me a book...


Dr Teeth

Recommended Posts

I want a book about synth programming... i would prefer something like all in one, i mean, from basic to advanced, from analog modeling to sample playback, etc... I would like that the book you list were in some site that ships internationally(i am in guatemala)... thanks...
Rebuilding My Self
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LatinMusic:

I want a book about synth programming... i would prefer something like all in one, i mean, from basic to advanced, from analog modeling to sample playback, etc... I would like that the book you list were in some site that ships internationally(i am in guatemala)... thanks...

 

Have you tried following the tutorial in the synth programming column in Keyboard? It's basic, but I've found it to be very helpful. The softsynth is free; all you need do is provide a computer.

 

 

This message has been edited by Postman on 09-06-2001 at 02:15 PM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This sounds silly, but believe it or not I've actually found a lot of great information by downloading synth manuals off the web and printing them up at work http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I got the idea from another forum. I'd even say, most of them are better than any book I've ever found at any store.

 

Aside from the step by steps, there are some really good in depth sections on different types of synthesis, MIDI, sequencing, with some good definitions on the basics like what's an LFO how does it affect such and such etc.

 

I'm currently making my through the Waldorf Micro Q and the Emu XL-7 manuals. I also like the Clavia Nord Lead manuals. The great thing is they're free and if one doesn't explain something clearly, you can get a second opinion from another manual. My next manual will be the Alesis Andromeda http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

 

Yeah I know it sounds weird, but I want to brush up on all this stuff so I know what I'm looking at when I go to buy my 2nd keyboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like Latin Music, I would love and profit immeasurably from a basic but deep synth primer -- one that covers the fundaments of subtractive, FM, granular synthesis, etc., and one that surveys the common features and variances of synth interfaces and operating systems. Plenty of step by step tutorials, maybe an accompanying CD. I'm teaching myself patchwork and piecemeal through manuals, online resources, and isolated exploration of my instruments. I need a lot of holes plugged--sometimes just very basic definitions of terms that would clear up a whole lot.

 

I think Dave Bryce should write this book. I can only vow that I'd buy it, but it seems like he already has a potential publishing platform through his association with this site. And he's a good writer! What do you say, Dave? Got any room on your proverbial "plate" for something like this?

 

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Magpel:

I think Dave Bryce should write this book. I can only vow that I'd buy it, but it seems like he already has a potential publishing platform through his association with this site. And he's a good writer! What do you say, Dave? Got any room on your proverbial "plate" for something like this?

 

Uhhhh....not really....besides, doing a project of that magnitude only makes sense if you're certain to be paid for your efforts - books are largely speculative. I don't think that I'm not that good of a writer, either...

 

Thanks for the vote of confidence, though... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

 

dB

:snax:

 

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

 

 

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Magpel:

Like Latin Music, I would love and profit immeasurably from a basic but deep synth primer -- one that covers the fundaments of subtractive, FM, granular synthesis, etc., and one that surveys the common features and variances of synth interfaces and operating systems. Plenty of step by step tutorials, maybe an accompanying CD. I'm teaching myself patchwork and piecemeal through manuals, online resources, and isolated exploration of my instruments. I need a lot of holes plugged--sometimes just very basic definitions of terms that would clear up a whole lot.

 

I have one that I bought which is decent. It covers the basics of analog/romplers/FM, but it's not very specific. I've actually never found something that I would get too excited about.

 

I have a few links at home with tutorials, I know I posted it for someone here before in a thread. All the links are in my home PC, I'll repost this weekend.

 

Remember that there are 3rd party books for specific synths. Wizoo has some (Roland XP/JV series?), and there's one for alesis series. There used to be a video and I think they released a book. Can't remember who the publisher is, but I know I have the link written down somewhere at home. I believe our very own dB was involved in this, but I could be wrong. I think there's a book about the triton too.

 

I tried installing the soundforum synth last night, I'll post my horror stories in another thread. It's pretty cool if I can get the latency down without crashing my PC....

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...