Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christian Blues Music?

Blues Disciple

I am wondering if anyone knows of any blues bands and/or blues cd's which consist of blues music with Christian lyrics? I have a Holmes Brothers CD which comes close to this idea, but don't know of any others. (I realize the term "Christian Blues music" is in many ways an oxymoron)

Any help would be greatly interested.

Blues Disciple

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Blues Disciple, If the people that told me this are right. The Blues scales used to be called the Gospel scales. So saying Christian blues is not really an oxymoron,it started in the church. So it would seem that most of your Gospel artist who recorded in the sixties and seventies would have what your looking for. Stuff older than that might be a little too basic,(my guess only). I cant think of too many names but, "The Five Blind Boys", "James Cleveland", start your search there. Im into Fred Hammond and Kirk Franklin myself. Casey

Originally posted by Blues Disciple:

I am wondering if anyone knows of any blues bands and/or blues cd's which consist of blues music with Christian lyrics? I have a Holmes Brothers CD which comes close to this idea, but don't know of any others. (I realize the term "Christian Blues music" is in many ways an oxymoron)

Blues Disciple

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Blues Disciple:

Blues Disciple

I've got a buddy here in the KC area who would be counted as a "Blues Disciple" as well. Sure it can be done...and what kcbass said about the "Gospel/Blues" parallels is right on.

Hey, if that's the direction you're being led...who are you to argue, right? And "Blues Disciples" would be a great name for a "Blues/Gospel" band, too.

Just got back from New Orleans. The "House of Blues" restaurant there has a Sunday Mornin' Gitdown Revival, featuring some top Gospel artists.

People get ready, there's a train a' comin'...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived