Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland vintage synth Card

dejon

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's the SR-JV card, I think that there's an extra bank that only the JD-990 can see, IIRC. Something about the 990 having different filters....I may be wrong - it's been a while...

I'm pretty sure that there IS an expansion board that this is true for, though, and I believe that's the one.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yes Dave I'm talking about the SR-JV 04 vintage synth card . Will it sound the same in both modules ? I know that you' ll get a extra bank when installed in the JD-990 but is this the only advantage? I'm thinking of upgrading to the XV-5080 that would mean getting rid of the 990 or if the sound of the 990 could not be replicated by the 5080 I'll keep the 990.

Originally posted by dejon:

I know that you' ll get a extra bank when installed in the JD-990 but is this the only advantage? I'm thinking of upgrading to the XV-5080 that would mean getting rid of the 990 or if the sound of the 990 could not be replicated by the 5080 I'll keep the 990.

Couldn't tell you fer sure - I'm not that familiar with the 5080. I'd say that's one for the nice Roland tech support folks.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That JD-990 compatibility issue seems to be one of life's great mysteries, but I'd bet that the 5080 does NOT have the ability to access those banks. Even so, the 5080 will give you better effects, more programmability, better converters, digital outs, and many other features that the 990 can't touch.

The card itself is excellent, no matter what machine you use as a host.

I got that card installed in my XP80. For sure it can't read the JD bank.

Anyway, my advice is to enable some of the "dead" tones in the various patches: They're ready to go, and make the sound much bigger.

Archived