Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are Keyboard Players Funnier???

steadyb

I don't know if it's because our instrument lends itself to being "orchestral" therefore we tend to be able to play more TV themes, standards, funny jingles,...or because we usually get relegated to the corner of available stage space,...or because of samplers,...or our superior intellect,...but most keyboard players I know are funnier than other musicians. Most drummers are generally crazier, while guitarists and lead singers, because of the undue attention given to their usually mediocre talents, are boring egomaniacs.

steadyb

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep.

I heard an interview with the Bee Gees the other day on the Rosie O'Donnell show. All three of them said they couldn't read or write music and never have. They just naturally played whatever entered their head. Hmm... Well, it was the funniest thing I've heard in a while, and one of them plays keyboards (sort of), so I guess it qualifies. I walked away from the tube laughing, scratching my head, and wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Who needs theory?

Wait Slophappy, before you laugh. The orgianist at our church can play just about any song you name. But he balked and balked at giving me lessons. When I finally broke him down, he told me he just kind of knows what keys to press. He said, if the singer is in Db, don`t press these at all, it won`t sound good. Go figger?

Originally posted by SlopHappy:

Yep.

I heard an interview with the Bee Gees the other day on the Rosie O'Donnell show. All three of them said they couldn't read or write music and never have. They just naturally played whatever entered their head. Hmm... Well, it was the funniest thing I've heard in a while, and one of them plays keyboards (sort of), so I guess it qualifies. I walked away from the tube laughing, scratching my head, and wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Who needs theory?

"Let It Be!"

Methinks that keyboards attract people that are of a slightly more intellectual bent and therefore have more of a sense of humor. Every other keyboardist I've ever met has a fully developed sense of irony and none scratch their heads at Steely Dan lyrics.

We're also more bitter, probably because after the gig, a sense of humor can't begin to compete with the guitar player's six-pack abs and loud-simple-smiley approach. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Archived