Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favorite bass player?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK---those are the famous guys. But I've got to add a few "local heroes."

Joel Perry--Nashville. A Miami jazz grad, beautiful tone from either his Sadowsky or P-bass, and the guy NEVER clams. I've done a bunch of albums with him and it's usually one-take. If it isn't, he's humble enough to know he's got a better one in him.

Bernard Hairston--Roanoke VA. Went to that Shenandoah college that had a very strong jazz program. Funky as the day is long, does those triplet slap/pop/pulls cleanly and tastefully, and a truly wonderful human being.

Dave Fowler--Nashville. A stronger rock bass player I've never met. Been a country sideman for years and is now producing young artists as well as working on a rock project in Mexico. Featured in Bass Player, if I'm not mistaken. Also a very gentle soul.

k.

Being a bassist, I've got to weigh in:

Paul McCartney, because of his flowing melodic lines.

James Jamerson, because of his rhythmic but melodic lines.

Geezer Butler, the heavy version of Jamerson. Fills all the gaps in the rhythm.

Am I mistaken, or did a bassist thread get to two pages without someone mentioning Steve Harris of Iron Maiden?

Ray Brown. His lines can take over a room.

Jaco. Freaking alien.

Charlie Haden.

There's a guy named Carroll Dashiell who played with Bobby Watson, I really enjoy his playing.

Ron Carter

Dave Holland

It's hard not to like, or be in awe(!), of guys like Chris Squire, Paul McCartney, and some of the other greats already mentioned multiple times in this thread.

Has anyone ever listened closely to Peter Cetera's bass playing? I like him a lot, too. He's not unlike McCartney, with a very melodic style. Funny, but Cetera seems to play very little bass on his later solo albums after having left Chicago. Instead, he has brought in some of the other fine craftsmen, such as Palladino, to do the job.

Peter Cetera's a good call. Chicago's a good subject for Weasel Jeff's SSS thread about songwriting vs. musicianship: great band, all their effort's directed at making the song sound good. That includes the soloing, great solos that are really part of the song.

Another vote for Abe Laboriel.

Did anyone see him at NAMM last month? He played with Greg Matheson (think that's his name) on keyboard in the Kurzweil booth on Sat. afternoon. Absolutely awesome!

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Originally posted by tuttorney@hotmail.com:

Abe Laboriel, Sr.

Tom Kennedy

Markus Miller

Pattitucci

I just don't know what I was thinking when I posted this eons ago. I can't believe I omitted Jimmy Haslip. He is my alltime favorite bass player.

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

No particular order:

Dave Holland

Paul Jackson

Ray Brown

Jaco

Scott Colley

Ron Carter

There's tons of heavy bass players in the Toronto and Montreal jazz scenes. Too many to name.

David

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I do not know this guy's name - but he is playing bass w/Ben Harper right now. Saw them on Austin City Limits a while back - he took (what is) the most amazing bass solo I have ever heard in life. And I love the greats - Paul Chambers to Mingus to Victor Wooten etc - but this guy is one to watch out for. Seriously great musician.
Ed Mann

Archived