Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IN EAR MONITORS

Rick K.

ANYONE GOT ANY EXPERIENCE WITH IN EAR MONITORS? I'D LIKE WIRELESS, BUT AM OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS. WOULD BE MOST INTERESTED IN SYSTEMS THAT ARE A GOOD VALUE THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE STEVE FORBES TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD.

THANKS IN ADVANCE...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got the Personal Ear Monitor (PEM) by Nady, its virtually unusable. I thought I could get a decent in-ear system for around $200, as the wireless transmitter I use on my cyberfiddle only cost me $125 and works great. The PEM allows way too many buzzes and dropouts, not worth it.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

My sure system cost under $500 fro Guitar Center. I work with a 10 piece band (4 horns). The sound man sends me a vocal mix that I submix in a mackie 12 channel. I sing on pitch and don't strain. The ear buds fall out once in a while from movement. The wire can be cumbersome, but since I'm a keyboardist it's workable.

jamie

I believe the decision to use in-ear monitors depends on the type of performer you are (mobile or stationary) and the stage environment (club or concert).

If headphones looked cool on stage, then you might not see so many musicians using in-ear monitors. But I suppose headphones don't look so cool, especially for the vocalist or front-of-stage musicians. So wireless in-ear monitors allow those performers look great while moving around the stage instead of having to stay in the "sweet spot" of the floor wedge.

However, as a stationary keyboardist, I love my Shure PSM-400 for two reasons. First, I play in many clubs where the monitor sound on stage sucks - not to mention so freakin' loud that it sounds like mud. You know the story. With the personal in-ear monitors, I control my own monitor mix AND the sound level. Oh yeah, the second reason.. since I'm also up front, I guess I can look cool too. The times I have not used them have only been on nice concert stages where the monitor sound was really awesome or when there was a decent sound level and separation.

-Sweat

Lenny

Archived