Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ergonomics in sound modules...a lost art?

jamey

I love my Boss Dr. Synth sound module. The sounds are certainly lesser than those that are available today, but it's small and light and fits perfectly on top of my keyboard, it has big rubber buttons that you can find in the dark and punch with no fear of damage, and it has a completely intuitive set-up and display. I've been looking for a more state-of-the art sound module to replace it, but I'm starting to believe that nothing today exists that matches the usability of this little device. All of the rack-mounted modules I'm seeing in stores either don't fit anywhere convenient for live playing, and/or have a knob function for selecting sounds, which makes it totally impossible to quickly and accurately change sounds.

Am I right?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jamey, I've always set up the patch mapping feature in my rackmount synths, so I can keep the rackmount in the rack and have less setup time. I can then pull up the preset I want from the MIDI controller. Most will respond to MIDI volume, etc. Its a little extra work initially but definitely saves time during gigs.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived