Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cakewalk HELP!!!

Goldberg

I am using Cakewalk Home Studio 8.0 with my 1080 for sequencing. But, everytime I do a song on Cakewalk with the JV-1080's patches, by setting up a [Preform] set up (assigning different patches to different channels, whatever you call that), cakewalk will refuse to re-open the song after exiting out or whatever. The message appears: Failed to open document. I know it's a problem with the 1080 patches mainly because I can write songs using the GM patches, and can actually reopen them after closing Cakewalk (what a concept...). Does anyone here have a similar set up and experienced these problems? Any help would be great.
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Though I'm no expert on all the bad things that can happen on a DAW, I'm an experienced Cakewalk user and I'm having a difficult time understanding how any synth or module hanging on a couple midi cables could prevent Cakewalk from opening a file. If you are using a Cakewalk .ins (instrument definition) to select and remember the 1010's patches from within cakewalk, try disassociating all your file's tracks from the 1010. Click on "define instruments" or something like and set all midi channel instrument definitions to default. That way, I can't see how Cakewalk would be "querying" the Roland in any way when it opens the file in question. The file should still play back correctly because you've saved the multimbral performance on the Roland and all the midi channels should still be right.

I know I'm not being clear. Please tell me of you are using an .ins instrument definition. If not, I can hardly imagine what's going on.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I'd be glad to tell you if i'm using an instrument definition, John...but, I'm not sure. You see, I'm pretty sure that Cakewalk has it set up as sort of a default (it had the instrument definition already set for the 1080 in particular, and I am able to select a patch from the 1080 with Cakewalk. I don't know if that helps you, it's just that I'm not too sure about how to find out if it does indeed have an .ins suffix. Now I don't know I'M being clear, but you probably get the main idea. Anyway, one interesting fact to get you scratching your head again is this (I'm not sure I was clear the first time around): you can listen to the song as many times as you wanted immediantly after sequencing it, I have no problem with that. However, say you were going somewhere and turned off the computer, all the equipment, and you came back, and loaded it back up. THEN you couldn't open it back up. Also keep in mind that you can set up an entire 16-track song using GM patches (from the 1080's GM bank). However, I don't believe it's failure to open a document would have anything to do with a bad connection with the 1080, seeing as you are able to open the other songs already on there without turning it on. Also, I forgot to mention earlier on. On the 1080, when you want to do a 16-track, you have to set up a whole program that says basically "channel one plays as synvox", and "channel two plays as strings" or whatever. But, when if I was to write a piano sonata type song, that's just a waste of time, and you can just use the regular patch mode (this is hard to understand if you don't have a 1080, I know I'm doing a pretty bad job here..) because it only uses up one channel...well, I have no problem loading those up and listening to them. I hope you guys know at least to some extent what I'm trying to say here and can give me sympathy and maybe some help, but I might end up needing to upgrade to the 9.0 version (we think the CD got a little scratched up and could now be buggy-why not upgrade?).

Are you saving the file in what format?

Are you saving the file in the same format when you do the sequence with the 1080 sound vs when you do the sequence with the GM sounds?

Start with a simple file. only one track going to JV. only a couple of notes. setup the track parameters so that it's going to the JV save it as .wrk file. open it again. try running it. does it work?

I agree with John, this doesn't make any sense.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rod CA:

Are you saving the file in what format?

Are you saving the file in the same format when you do the sequence with the 1080 sound vs when you do the sequence with the GM sounds?

Start with a simple file. only one track going to JV. only a couple of notes. setup the track parameters so that it's going to the JV save it as .wrk file. open it again. try running it. does it work?

I agree with John, this doesn't make any sense.

Oops, sorry about that post above, that was just kind of stupid of me (first time trying to quote someone). Anyway, I tried to save the song as a different file type, and so far I haven't had any problems at all opening the song. Thanks!

Archived