Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XG and GM?

Goldberg

I know that XG is Yamaha's version of GM, and that practically everyone else uses GM. I'm in the market for a Yamaha, but was just wondering if I might experience any problems 1)using it to control the JV-1080, or 2)playing back the songs already sequenced on Cakewalk with GM sounds.
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You shouldn't have a problem playing a GM midi sequence on an XG module (or a GS module, Roland's version of GM). But I don't think that's your question.

Why do you want to use GM sounds anyways? The only advantage to making a GM compatible file is portability, if you want to send it to someone and get it to play the right sounds. Most manufacturer's don't like to waste too much ROM on the GM soundset, plus a lot of times they make the sounds 'thin' on purpose.

I'm pretty sure the 1080 has a GM soundset, right? But if you're controlling the 1080 thru the yamaha, you're just sending midi information. If you're still talking about the Cs6x, it's not GM/XG compatible unless you put the XG plug in card, which is a waste of space, IMHO http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif... anyways, it doesn't matter if the cs6x is GM/XG compatible or not. They are both MIDI compatible, which all synths nowadays are, and that's all you really need to worry about (in general)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived