Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Excited new user

Jupiter Marxx

Hey guys. Well I finally did it after 16yrs. of wondering and dreaming I purchased my first syth, and she's a beaut! Korg MS200 was my choice. Why , because 2 months of careful research convince me that this was the gear I was looking for. Even though I'm a beginner and I realize that the anolog road can be diffcult. These are the sounds and design i'm most impress with. Any way, let me get to my point: Naturally i'm already thinking ahead, about new gear, and I was wondering about adding a grove box to my MS. Would this be a nice compliment to this synth, and futhermore a good direction for me to head into. I'm looking to learn as much as possible via internet. I'm hoping I can devolp some online friendships with like minded interest to share and learn from. Any imput, and advice is welcome!

------------------

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SteveRB:

I love the MS2000, even though I don't own one. I really think the bass sounds are great on that machine.

The latest Keyboard magazine has an article comparing grooveboxes. I recommend you read that issue. Good luck.

"Wow, I can't believe someone responsed so quickly. Thanks man, I did pick up this months issue of keyboard, great info, but not real clear on external uses for the grooveboxes. Any way thanks for the repley, and as always if you have anything you could share about learning how to program, etc. let me know. Take care

The main 'problems' of the ms2000 in the grand scheme of thing are 2

- only 2 part multi-timbral

- only 4 note polyphony

If you end up getting into sequencing, and this is your only axe, you would see this as a big limitation.

The grooveboxes fill a very specific nitch. The lower price ones have too many restrictions, IMHO. It really depends where you want to go. However, the grooveboxes have their own sounds, so you may find it complements the ms2000 pretty well.

Do you have a PC? Soundblaster? Get a cheap or freeware midi sequencing program so you can do some exploring. Tons of free stuff on the web. Play with it and see where you want to go.

Only you can determine the direction.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Rod CA:

- only 4 note polyphony

Also the midi sync has a huge delay. I'm not sure if you went backwards, let the MS2000 send the midi sync would you solve the problem. Whether this problem will be fixed in a system version update remains to be seen. This is only a problem if you want to use the onboard sequencer to tie into another sequencer. I bought an MS2000 & I really like it for leads, basses, some strings & sound effects. It is really like every analog synth that has ever been. Very inexpensive for a pro board. A lot of the guys in here kind of snear at it. They have some of the more exotic analog boards. I still like it. I bought it because of the bang for the buck & wouldn't have bought it with out the value for the money. It certainly isn't my main board. Best feature - weighs 15lbs. I have a soft case with a shoulder strap. I can put it on my shoulder & hang around the music store & be cool like the guitar players.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by Rod CA:

- only 4 note polyphony

If you end up getting into sequencing, and this is your only axe, you would see this as a big limitation.

The grooveboxes fill a very specific nitch. The lower price ones have too many restrictions, IMHO. It really depends where you want to go. However, the grooveboxes have their own sounds, so you may find it complements the ms2000 pretty well.

Do you have a PC? Soundblaster? Get a cheap or freeware midi sequencing program so you can do some exploring. Tons of free stuff on the web. Play with it and see where you want to go.

Only you can determine the direction.

If you have a Soundblaster, then there is a free Soundfont you just have to get:

http://www.hammersound.net/

and get Vintage Dreams Waves 2.0.

It contains TR808, TR909, CR-78 and lots of synth-sounds. FREE!.

There are other very high-quality Soundfonts there too, all free to use.

/d-kay

Archived