Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A beginner with no money.

NapsAREfun

I'm starting out in the whole synth/composing field and i can't figure out what gear i need. I have less than $1000 (which means i can't get a decent workstation) and i want a sound module with good string, piano, synth-pads and synth-leads, and percussive sounds (plus guitar/bass would be nice), although i can do with less. Also, i need a keyboard to plug into my computer, but I don't really know the difference between a midi keyboard and a master controller keyboard, if there is a difference. All i know is that i want a pitch and mod wheel, sustain pedal jack aside from the necessary midi in out and through (and some sort of weighted, semi-weighted, after touch...) I don't really care about groove boxes or modules with percussive tracks, because i like writing those myself.

Right now, i have the free version of finale notepad, a suitable computer and the pro tools demo. I can't figure out how to convert finale documents into audio files, so help on that is appreciated as well.

Any advice concerning information on products, questions i have posed, or other matters of relevance are appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to Finale ...you can contact Coda Music . They are Finale distributors . I am not sure of web site .

So .....you have $1000.00 ....... Why not think about a used workstation

Roland Xp60 or Korg N364 or 264 . dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Originally posted by NapsAREfun:

... but I don't really know the difference between a midi keyboard and a master controller keyboard ...

When you use a MIDI keyboard to control another instrument or sound module, then it's a MIDI controller.

A grand can get you a good start. Heck, you can buy Cakewalk and a Qs6 Alesis new for less than a grand and have a nice setup. I know a guy who is selling a K2000 Kurzweil that is just like brand new for about 800. There are lots of good deals. Search factory websites and visit music stores and buy what inspires you that is within your means. DON'T buy just because something has good reviews or is popular. You have to find it inspiring and within your grasp of technical knowledge. For me that would probably limit it to an old rhodes or a wurly. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Archived