Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A beginner with no money.

NapsAREfun

I'm starting out in the whole synth/composing field and i can't figure out what gear i need. I have less than $1000 (which means i can't get a decent workstation) and i want a sound module with good string, piano, synth-pads and synth-leads, and percussive sounds (plus guitar/bass would be nice), although i can do with less. Also, i need a keyboard to plug into my computer, but I don't really know the difference between a midi keyboard and a master controller keyboard, if there is a difference. All i know is that i want a pitch and mod wheel, sustain pedal jack aside from the necessary midi in out and through (and some sort of weighted, semi-weighted, after touch...) I don't really care about groove boxes or modules with percussive tracks, because i like writing those myself.

Right now, i have the free version of finale notepad, a suitable computer and the pro tools demo. I can't figure out how to convert finale documents into audio files, so help on that is appreciated as well.

Any advice concerning information on products, questions i have posed, or other matters of relevance are appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Less than a grand?

Look at a used Kurzweil K2000, K2VX or K2VP.

Granted, they only have 24 notes of polyphony, but they're all kick-ass keyboards.

Another to look at is the Alesis QS7 (QS8 if you want a piano type keybed.) 64 notes of polyphony, and great programs here, too.

All these models will be well under a grand, and will give you what you're looking for.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I just picked up a Roland RS 5 to supplement my rig with a synth action keyboard, and to give me one to take out of the house. Man, this is an odd bird, but my initial impression after 5 days with it is that it is a tremendous value at under 600 bucks. It's big brother, the RS 9, has 88 keys and goes for under a grand. The catch on these things is that they are not expandable. For me, that's no biggie because I'm deep into Gigasampler and the like: soft synths and samplers is where I'm headed. And the other catch is that there's no aftertouch on the RS 5. And the other catch is that, if you're into creating and modifying sounds, there's no sustain in the envelope, only ADR, which is already caused me to curse out loud. Yeah, there's a couple catches with this thing.

Strengths: strong collection of sounds, with some real outstanding areas. Excellent real time and performance control -- 6 dual or triple function knobs (easily switchable from one button) give you tweaking control of envelope attack and decay, filter cutoff, resonance, effect levels and attirbutes, lfo rate and depth, and arpeggiator tempo, octave, accent. The many effects sound great (with cool things like splicers, step flangers), the filter and resonance are well done. The arpeggoator is not something that would ever sell me on a keyboard, but man is it fun and I'm already seeing ways to use it--it's got 40 plus styles and excellent real time control.

So consider the RS 5 or the RS 9. I think I like mine.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I would also recommend the QS 7/8. I have a QS 8 that I have been extremely happy with over the last couple of years. The action is excellent and the sounds are great! The only things missing are an arpeggiator and sequencer - neither of which is a problem if you're using a software based sequencer. I plan on selling mine for $700 as soon as my Motif 8 comes in since I don't have room for both but I won't part with it until I have a chance to sample a bunch of it's sounds first. :-)

Archived