Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need some advice on gear..

Goldberg

I have just recently gotten into this MIDI world, after playing the piano for just about 4 years. I'm quite fortunate because my parents just bought me a nice Yamaha upright, to compliment the Roland KR-575 we got at the beginning of my piano playing. Anyway, a few weeks ago we picked up a fairly old (but brand new, just never sold) JV-1080, and got the whole setup with Cakewalk Home Studio 8. However, what I am looking for now is a relatively inexpensive (ha ha) way to make this all portable, and also to be able to create some techno sounds (which, as you know requires realtime editing). CWHS8 just doesn't cut it when it comes to that (yes, I've played around with the realtime mixers and junk). And niether does the 1080 or -575. So, I have a few questions. I was looking at the CS6R, because of it's realtime knobs and 'dance oriented' sounds, but I noticed that it's synthesizer counterpart, the CS6X is just a few hundred bucks more expensive, and that alone would probably solve it. Both of these are probably too expensive anyway, but it's not out of the picture. The next solution my dad and I came up with, was to get the Techno Collections expansion card for techno sounds, and get a MIDI controller to tote around. My question is: how can we solve our realtime problems? What I'm looking for is an inexpensive module type thing that allows you to do realtime adjusting without becoming an actual 'sound module', with loads of sound, which we don't need..yes, I know, I'm new to this sort of thing so I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. So, my next question is if you can find a MIDI controller that has some knobs and sliders and junk, but still is one of those cheap kind that are just used to, well, control MIDI. Also, we're having serious problems with our Cakewalk and are looking for an upgrade, to something like CWHS9...any suggestions?
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived