Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on Synth Products

stratusloop

Brief Background: I'm an entry-level user to the Synth medium.

Current Setup: Roland SK-88 Pro (produced by the Edirol division) it's a 37 note midi controller with an extensive sound canvas, also using Cakewalk Home Studio v.9

Question: I'm adding another midi controller/keyboard and synth module. I would like to know what the pros/cons are for the products listed below with condideration to compatibility, user-friendliness, expandability, does it provide a solid foundation to build upon, etc...

Roland A-33 Midi Controller/Keyboard

Roland JV-1080 Sound Module

Thank You

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not get an XP30? I think you have the same sounds as the JV plus from some of the expansion cards, and it my cost you a bit less than the controller + the jv.

The jv is a good bread and butter sound synth I think. You didnt mention your style, but it's a good module to start with, since it covers a lot of bases, and you can get the expansion cards for specific styles. So, as far as expandability, I think you're covered. I haven't used it too much, so I can't comment on user-friendliness.

I would also compare it to the emu proteus 2000.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Rod...thanks for the reply...the reason I was interested in the A-33 was for 3 reasons...76 notes, the keys are weighted better than the xp-30 (in my opinion) and lastly the ability to "change-out" the module or switch to a different module such as the one you mentioned (emu products)...also style of my music is influenced by Kraftwerk, Yes (Wakeman) and Ray Lynch....and if you have any suggestions on sound modules for this style of music...please pass it along...again thanks for taking to the time to reply....

If you like the keybed than by all means get the A33. I can't stress that enough. Nothing like having a main instrument with a keybed you don't like.

One of the advantages of dedicated controllers vs synths is that they are usually flexible about the type of program change command, so it's easy to setup for other synths, so if you're looking at expanding then it's a good idea.

I think there's a vintage synths card for the jv, which I think would be a good add on. Your next purchase should probably be a virtual analog, IMHO (hell, or a real one, if you got the bucks http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif). You'll be able to get closer to the sounds you hear in Kraftewerk and the early Yes stuff.

One of the other options to consider is the Yamaha cs6r. I own the cs6x and I think the sound is killer. They are blowing them out I think for around $900 (probably more than you get the jv these days). The yamaha has a bit more 'edge', and the sounds are more 'in your face' (subjective, to say the least), which I like. It's a rompler but it has some very 'analog' sounding patches, so that may fit your style as well. I would definetly check it out.

Some people disagree with me, but I think the best starting point is a good 'bread and butter' sounds synths where you get a bit of everything, and then expand from there. I think you're in the right track with the jv. I've heard people do some pretty cool music with not much more than it.

A few guys here own JV's and XP's, I'm hoping they will speak up as well. Guys?

BTW, I've used HomeStudio 9 (currently using PA, hopefully sonar soon) so if you have questions I can probably give you some help.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

Rod...again thanks for the advice...I'm gonna explore your recommendation and consider the XP30 as viable option...also...I do have some questions regarding HomeStudio 9 but would rather start a new thread for that topic...although it doesn't seem too many people are interested in stepping down to this level to add any constructive advice.....thanks..joe

Originally posted by MindDrive:

it doesn't seem too many people are interested in stepping down to this level to add any constructive advice

I have found that many times people don't contribute to a thread because they either don't have enough (or any) experience with the pieces in question, or perhaps their experiences are not positive and they just don't feel like publicly dissing the products in question. I don't think that it has anything to do with "stepping down to this level". I haven't found there to be a great deal of snobbery or elitism on this forum. There are quite a few people on this forum who are more than willing to share their experiences and opinions on just about any subject, no matter what "level".

I didn't respond because I don't know enough about the A33 to comment (I believe that it's a relatively new product, isn't it?), and I'm not a big fan of Roland's operating systems in general (especially for beginners) so I didn't say anything about the 1080. However, I do not feel as if I have the right to bias anyone negatively - you might find the Roland OS to be completely intuitive - there are certainly people who do.

The bottom line (IMO) is that you should go play with these products, and a bunch of others as well and see which ones appeal to YOU. Explore how you interact with them, and how easy they are for you to get around on.

Oh, yeah - see if you like the way the keyboard feels and the module sounds. I tend to believe that those are the highest criteria.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Dave:

That's it exactly with me. I have no experience with any Roland product since the D50, and certainly wouldn't speak to their new stuff's abilities.

Though, I DO remember hating Roland's synth keybeds. I never felt one that wasn't spongy, and not particularly "prog-run" friendly. That's why I got rid of the D50 and got the D550.

The last Roalnd I touched was an A30 controller. Still felt the same way to me.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

[b

- you might find the Roland OS to be completely intuitive - there are certainly people who do.

[/b]

"Completely intuitive" not, maybe "workable after a good dose of profanities" yes, I guess it depends on how much convoluted your head is... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway, Roland said officially that they consider the XP-80 keybed "semi-weighted", but it is "barely acceptable" if you ask me. The XP-50, for example, is in the "unacceptable" field by a long shot IMHO.

Minddrive,

I own an XP-30 as well as a JV-1010 (and other Roland gear as well). For years I wanted a 76-key controller, but I missed out on the A-70 while it was out. I love the feel of Roland keyboards (I used a D-50 as my main keyboard for years), but still need 76-keys. By all means, if you want the A-33, then get it because you won't be happy with less.

Let me also offer another option. I have used Roland for years and love the sound, however recently, I realized I needed to add another module to compliment what I already have (too many to list here). I had the 1010 before I decided to buy the XP-30, but as you should know ,they both have the same sound set as the 1080 and 2080 (for the most part). If you can live with 61 keys, I would get the XP-30 (for the sound set), add two JV expansion cards (vintage keys is a must, and if you do hip-hop, then get that card, too) and then spend your money to get something like the EMU Proteus 2000 or Mo' Phatt (or skip that and get the A-33, JV-1010 (it has one expansion slot) and a EMU module-it should work out to about the same cost).

The reason? Each manufacturer designs their sounds a certain way. Adding a module from a different manufacturer will expand your overall musical palette and soundscape. I added a Korg Triton Rack to my set-up and it has made a difference in the overall sound I can get. The ability to mix sounds from different manufacturers using different synthesis methods will definitely add depth and complexity to your music.

Good luck,

MusicWorkz

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Dave...I apologize if I ruffled any feathers....at least I know someone is actually reading what I write....ha ha...anyhow thanks for keeping me in line....and thanks for the advice....as for Roland OS....I found it easy to use....for instance....I had a Yamaha S30 and Roland XP30 side by side.

The Yamaha drove me insane.....the Roland to me seemed straight forward. I suppose it's all subjective to the end user and their ability to be intuitive...again...thanks..joe

Dave...I apologize if I ruffled any feathers....at least I know someone is actually reading what I write....

You didn't ruffle any feathers, Joe - quite the opposite. I was concerned that you were under the impression that your questions weren't worthy of a response. That's just not the case - there's all kinds of folks here who are usually delighted to share their opinions on just about anything. Not every question gets answered right away....there's all sorts of reasons why. Sometimes you've just gotta be patient, and wait for the right person to read it.

Glad to have you on the forum, sir! Please feel free to post any questions that you'd like, and no more worrying about the "level", okay? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Dave...I apologize if I ruffled any feathers....at least I know someone is actually reading what I write....ha ha...anyhow thanks for keeping me in line....and thanks for the advice....as for Roland OS....I found it easy to use....for instance....I had a Yamaha S30 and Roland XP30 side by side.

The Yamaha drove me insane.....the Roland to me seemed straight forward. I suppose it's all subjective to the end user and their ability to be intuitive...again...thanks..joe

The whole OS thing is very subjective.

I've never used the roland, but I'm familiar with the OS in the yamaha, and although it requires a little too many button presses for what I consider basic functions, I think it's clearly laid out. Some people think it's the OS from hell.

I've worked for years as a test engineer and as manager of test and QA areas, and I've probably had to learn the OS for test instruments (a lot times very similar to the OS in synths) of about 60-70 instrument. It's become a way of life for me...

It's all about the sound, baby. I can handle any O/S http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

MBP-LOGIC

Archived