Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blues Keyboard CD suggestions

Its CD buying time! Anyone have some suggestions for a good blues CD that has a keyboard (preferably Hammond)sound as the main part of the music (as opposed to guitar-dominated blues)? Any good blues artists who are actually keyboard players and not guitar gods? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

On the way to the music store.....

BD

"With the help of God and true friends I've come to realize, I still have two strong legs and even wings to fly" Gregg Allman from "Ain't Wastin Time No More"

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Blues Disciple:

Its CD buying time! Anyone have some suggestions for a good blues CD that has a keyboard (preferably Hammond)sound as the main part of the music (as opposed to guitar-dominated blues)? Any good blues artists who are actually keyboard players and not guitar gods? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

On the way to the music store.....

BD

Check out Rod Piazza And The Mighty Flyers last CD...His wife, Honey Piazza plays some very serious and gritty blues KB. Her boogie woogie pieces are outstanding as well. No doubt influenced by Pete Johnson and Albert Ammons. Listening to her inspired me to get deeper into boogie woogie playing. Check her out!!...... I think you'll really dig her.

Davem

Thats easy......try the new Dr. John CD, Duke Elegant, on which he plays a lot of Hammond.......try also any blues oriented Jimmy Smith or Jimmy McGriff stuff, while is isn't always 12 bar, its full of blues licks, and for Hammond its a must......if you want blues piano it depends on what style, Chicago, boogie woogie, New Orleans (my favorite.)

Hi "Blues Disciple", here's a couple of the blues organ monsters:

Jimmy Smith - Organ Grinders Swing

Joey DeFrancesco (w/Danny Gatton) - Relentless

A few major blues singers with wicked keyboard chops &/or players:

Ray Charles - any of his earlier recordings (mostly piano)

Taj Mahal - Senor Blues is exceptionally fine

Lucky Peterson - I'm Ready, Lifetime, Double Dealin'

And you gotta have: Johnnie Johnson - Johnny B. Bad

There's a enormous spectrum of tasteful blues talent out there, finger dancin' and "whippin' them ivories", that goes way, way back. Everyone?

For New Orleans blues piano try James Booker and Henry Butler.....these two are stride blues players.....absolute technical masters.....the for rock you have my favorite Professor Longhair, and of course Dr John has excellent instructional videos on New Orleans piano.

As has been previously stated Jimmy Smith is a must for the Hammond, he defined the genre.

This message has been edited by mojosaur on 07-31-2001 at 04:12 PM

I'll have to second the motion for Jimmy Smith. I've had his recent cd "Dot Com Blues" in my car player continuosly for the past few weeks. Big input from Dr. John on it and Jimmy's playing (at 75 years old!) is positively smokin'.

Regards, Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Try Kiss My Blues by Tony Z on Tone Cool records. Tony is Buddy Guys keyboardist, but this solo effort, in my opinion, is some of the best Blues and R&B organ stuff I've heard in quite some time. Jimmie Smith's new Dot Com Blues has some nice grooves on it too.

Archived