Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chinook Keyboard Centre (Museum)-Calgary

Jeep

I must share this with all you fellow keyboard fans:

Not expecting much, I sought out and visited this scantily-publicized institution in uptown Calgary last week, and was blown away by their world-class collection and presentation of over 400 historic keyboard instruments! It's impossible to convey this experience via a mere posting on our forum, but I'll try.

The evolution of keyboard instruments through the centuries is displayed and thoroughly documented on the 4 huge floors of this climate-controlled architectural gem of a building. Ancient, priceless organs, harpsichords and clavichords, and other amazing early concepts, just gets you warmed up for the astounding array of incredible American and European pianos, which are to die for!

They have all sorts of organs, including a delightful theatre organ that triggers a motley collection of wild and wonderful acoustic instruments. It's as big as my house! There's a whole slew of Hammonds and related paraphernalia. They have bizarre and beautiful beasts from a theremin to a Mellotron, and all sorts of stuff from Buchla, Arp and Moog.

Then there's a huge variety of "combo" instruments: Rhodes, Wurlitzers, on through a whack of synthesizers. Chances are that you've owned or played at least one of them.

Digital gear? You bet!

It's an unforgettable time trip from our keyboard roots. I give you my highest recommendation to see it for yourself, and no, I have no connection with them whatsoever, except as a fellow keyboard fan.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived