Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Pianos

cologne2000

Looking for a killer Digital Piano (i.e. - sound & action), however I would prefer if it could also be a strong controller.

I like the Yamaha SY-80 sound and action, but it really seems like a one trick pony.

Any thoughts?

Ed

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'd say you definitely want to go with Logic over Digital Performer because...

...wait, where am I???...I'm...so confused I...just...I was...

what was the question???

I really like my QS8. I've had it for 5 years or so. Great piano, others available on cards, super easy to use multitimbral mode, works well with sequencing programs and as a controller, solid. I have no complaints whatsoever.

steadyb

Check out the Roland XV-88 (which I own), it is basically Roland's XV-3080 sound module smooshed together with a Roland A-90 keyboard controller. I have no idea where they got the name XV-88 out of all that.

Personally, I found the keyboard action + the built-in piano sounds to be the best I could find in a single keyboard for around ~US $2,000. The MIDI controller functions are a big plus as well.

You could add the SRX-02 Concert Piano expansion card to get even better piano sounds.

CONS:

1. Huge board, I can lift it by myself, but I always get another person to help me. I couldn't walk more than 2 blocks with this thing without getting severely tired or spraining something (a pain if you parked far from your gig). Standing on end, it reminds me of the monolith from 2001. I'm 6'0 and 220 lbs, and yeah it could probably pin me to the mat if I wasn't watching.

2. Usable but small screen

3. Haven't found a sound editor/librarian that works effectively with it, yet. I'm waiting for Sound Diver in the mail, their literature says it supports the Roland XV series including the XV-88.

This message has been edited by mwisniewski on 07-30-2001 at 01:57 PM

Archived