Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha RS-7000

Darcity

Do you need a doctorate to understand Yamaha gear? One of my drummers just bought one and either it's just too simple or our minds are too complicated to understand it or vice-versa (I told him to get the MPC anyway since we already use one). Since he's started playing keys, he wanted something that does more than just drum parts that's portable that he can play along with. Anyway, what do you think of it( RS-7000)? As you all know, I'm waiting for the E-mu MP-7. I think some of the sounds are thin. I was especially surprised with the pianos and the E.P.'s: not that impressive. Great on paper but not so cool on sounds. Or did I just miss something????? Oh yeah, we DID read the book about the sequencer/arranger and integrating audio samples with midi on the would be cool if we ever figure it out. Looks like a job for Yamaha!!!!
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I went to the MOTIF/RS-7000 clinic at Guitar Center.

My understanding is that the RS-7000, out of the box is oriented towards dance/techno/hip-hop and that the built-in sounds reflect that (drums and synths). You bought the wrong box if you wanted good pianos/EPs, out of the box. The related MOTIF is probably more appropriate for what it sounds like you're trying to do. It has the "better" acoustic and ep sounds built-in, plus the drums from the RS-7000.

Either that or buy some good acoustic/ep samples and load them into the RS-7000 sampler.

You might want to sit in on a clinic, the RS-7000 seemed pretty easy to use when the Yamaha guy was showing us how to use it. I was able to play around with it after the clinic and it's simple once you understand the schema/architecture.

OH NO!! HE bought it!!! I was trying to help figure it out. I like the E-mu MP-7. But as with most of my cases in the past, except the V50, too many steps to screw up to get to your result. So it is supposed to be "easy to use"? I've had a lot of Yamaha products from the KX5 to W7 and have seldom seen user-friendly products. That's just me, but maybe we didn't hold our mouths right. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif
Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

Lol ...

Well it's not the end of the world, really just find somebody who can show you how to use it, hands on, its sounds like the manual/written instructions are not doing it for you.

Find a clinic and get your drummer down there, he can pepper the Yamaha rep with all kinds of questions.

Archived