Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Absynth tips the iceberg, synth modules hit the road

Well it took a long time but Absynth dumped me overboard, I've now committed to using multiple computers with software based synths, sequencers, etc in favor of outboard samplers or synth modules.

Absynth is incredible, Spektral Delay and Reaktok are next on the hit list.

I've got logic running the EVP 88, EXS24, B4, Dynamo, Battery, etc and can't look back. This is way more efficient and offers more sonic choice than I ever had in the way of patching hardware virtual or hybrid synths together via a traditional mixing environment and i've had some beauts. I DO have some nice outboard however, an Orville, tubetech, Avalon,TC gear.

It seems that instead of all those extra synth modules I'm gonna be better off with a 2nd computer functioning as a sound source/generating station with digital I/O and word clock sync. Add the UAD card upcoming for the mac and you're cooking with nitro. This doesn't negate the beauty of real classic Analog synths like a Minimoog, Voyetra 8 , oberheim 8 voice SEM, etc. Recorded well those still have "magic" in a mix.

If you had to put together a dream system from scratch today, for recording, what would you use? Of the newer computer based plug-ins or new software based synths what's got you interested.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived