Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How are you working in the studio

Sharon

Hi there,

I just finish my track that been done 99% in the computer

I recorded dry seqvens from my synth to computer and there i make all the

Eq and plugins

I been use sound forge and cubase some time recycle too ...

well the process was some time not so plesent but mostly it was ok.

I end up with too many cubase files:

one with midi only ,then with midi and audio and so on....

also i dont remember wich patch i use cause i just take the firth patch that sound ok and use it and recorded so i can hear it wet ..

my quastions are:

How you are working in your studios,midi only or audio only?

Do you record the synth into computer so you can use the plugins and eq?

Is there some better way that you can sagest to me ?

I had to record to pc because i dont have a mixser and some fx unit (i saving to one soon)

All i have is a YAMAHA AN1x ,CS1x and AKAI s3000xl and alesis monitor one.

The resolts was great

Cheers

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sharon - Here's a link to a previous thread that Dave started. I'll copy my response here and mention a few more things based on what you said. I'm a total rookie at recording so take what I say in that light http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/001054.html

All my synths go to a rolls line level mixer. Output of rolls goes to main mixer (tascam m08, pretty old), and to sound card. Main mixer also takes outputs for audio card (more on that later), and a cd player (nice to have around)

I have a egosystems wamirack audio/midi interface. I installed in last week and so far like it a lot. I have 3 synths connected to three of the midi ports. I run the other gear thru a old kawai midi patchbay to port #4, so I can have a direct in and out to the computer at any time with any gear without repatching.

This dual mixer setup allows me to have all my gear connected at the same time, and allows me to combine the output of all the synths just are being driven by midi with stuff I've already recorded.

I do everything in midi then record the tracks to audio. I wouldn't give the flexibility of being able to change the sound. Most of the time I'll record a group of tracks at a time, muting the other midi tracks. Or I'll then hookup the synths direct to the sound card. Once I record in the computer it stays there. If I want to just do a quick recording of a song while I still have all the stuff in midi, I'll just record all the synths together into one track, export as a wave, and burn it into CD so I can listen to it offline (just got the burner ... cool!)

Still getting the hang of recording! specially the whole record dry and adding effects later thing. I've been recording some of the synths with effects anyways, I can always re-record the midi later. I'm still learning the in's and out's, so I haven't even gotten into mastering yet.

I have a guitar and plan to get getting a pod soon so I can record with that.

From the mixer I go thru a yamaha eq, alesis ra100 and monitor 1's. Eq is nice to 'clean up the sound' a bit. My 'studio' is in my bedroom and the acoustics suck, but I've managed to get a pretty nice sound with the eq.

Software : CPA 9 and soundforge 4.5. I need a new computer! I'll then probably get sonar and sf 5.0. Gotta a copy of cubasis and gigasampler LE with the wamirack. Found cubasis interface annoying and non-intuitive. Giga will probably puke in my current computer, but I'll give it a shot anyways.

The only external effects I have is an lex mpx100. I have a lot of direct x plug ins which I can use in sf and cakewalk.

To answer your questions directly:

- I work mostly in midi - I'm more confortable with it and my computer is a bit underpowered at this point. This may change in the future.

- Not doing much processing in the computer after it's recorded. When I still have everything in midi I try to adjust the synth patches at this point. I'm still not confortable with getting the results I want with plug in.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

How you are working in your studios,midi only or audio only?

Both. It varies. I've done MIDI only, audio only, and various combinations. There's no formula - depends on the tune and the instrumentation.

Do you record the synth into computer so you can use the plugins and eq?

Sometimes - usually not, though. Of course, the synths without MIDI always get tracked.

Is there some better way that you can sagest to me ?

Not really, Sharon. There isn't a right or wrong way...as a matter of fact, sometimes, doing what you're not supposed to do can have great results. Experiment - try all kinds of things. You'll find the methods that makes you most comfortable. Here's one of my peculiarities - if I want multiple tracks from the same synth, as a rule I'd rather record an audio pass than run the synth in multi-mode. Why? I dunno - I'm just more comfortable that way.

All i have is a YAMAHA AN1x ,CS1x and AKAI s3000xl and alesis monitor one.

The resolts was great

If you're happy with what you're getting, then don't worry about it! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks for you replay

Dave i know that there no spesific formula ...mostly was intresting to know how people here working.

Rod that mostly what i do...also when i will have a mixer i defantly gonna use some FX units

Cheerz http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Archived