Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name that song

Tusker

Any of you ever have a tune you want to play, but you can't remember the whole of it, or what it's called? I have that problem. I'm pretty sure someone on this forum plays it.

It's a latin tune in a minor key. One of those fun parlor tunes that everybody recognizes ... With a relatively fast melody that makes me think of "latin-baroque." If I was to play it in D minor the chords would be:

Dm, A7, A7, Dm, Gm, Dm, E7 A7 for the first part (the chorus has a c7 to fmajor alternation before descending back to dminor again).

Ok here is the melody for the Dm, A7, A7 Dm bit:

a a a \ bflat a d2 a a a \ bflat a e2 a a a \ bflat a g2 e2 c#2 a aflat g \ f

... where the number 2 indicates that the note is in the second octave about middle c (and no number indicates the first octave above middle c).

I'd be greatful if anyone could identify this. I am going through a period of finding "fun" parlour piano songs and this would be on the list. If anyone has any other fun piano songs to suggest, that would be cool. (My current list includes: take 5, maple leaf rag, peanuts, etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tusker,

I don't know if you're being totally serious here, but the pitches you gave us seem to describe a simplified version of "Tico-Tico", one of the most universally known songs in the world. I think it's originally from a Disney cartoon movie, and if I got it right, you nailed most of the pitches but not all. For example, in the series of three a's you should substitite g# for the second a; then substitute c# for the first e2, etc..

I also think that the original version is in A minor.

marino

This message has been edited by marino on 07-15-2001 at 08:48 PM

Yup, Tico-Tico. Disney? Not sure, but certainly a favorite by organist Bessie Smith. A staple of Hammond literature. Revived (kind of) on the Lou Bega cd (Mambo #5).

K.

Thanks fellas:

I haven't heard it in a decade or so. I knew something was wrong when I was trying it out (thanks for clarification Carlo). I think I should just get a recording of it.

My musical education has a few big holes in it, as I am finding out http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Archived