Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sampling Pianos?????

Fletch

Could someone give me some information on the easiest/cheapest ways (equipment I'll need) to sample in both/either the: William Coakley Piano that and/or the GigaPiano that I have heard so much about. Also some personal thoughts on their sound/workability. Are there other samples that compare to these for piano sound. I am wanting this only for home use. I'll be sampling whatever it is into my Alesis DG8 if possible.

Thanks for the Info,

Fletch

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fletch, I don't think you'll be able to sample them into the alesis in any way. The card will only take up to 8 megs, and the gigapiano is definetly more than that (gigapiano http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif ), and I though the william coakley piano was around 32 megs at least. (not sure)

The only solution is to find a piano sample that is around 8 megs so you can load that in a card. I'm not sure which one would fit the bill.

If you try to sample one of the big libraries so that it fits to 8 megs you'll loose something, either you will have to sample larger steps, use less layers, shorter loops, or something.

I hope I understood your question.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Besides which, there are three really nice stereo piano samples under 8 meg that are already in there...they should give you a pretty decent variety, yes?

Yeah, I meant to say that too Dave. I was going to comment that I didn't think he was going to gain that much (or anything) by doing this.

Fletch, this seems strange that you're trying to do this. If you're not happy with the dg8 pianos, for the same price you could probably have picked up a fatar controller and a sampler, or have gotten the fatar controller and built a PC for gigasampler.

Rod

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Bosie Piano sample. The true Grand and Dark Grand ROCK. The Jazz piano is a bit bright (even the dark grand, EQ'd with the mids down and base up) for me and the classical doesn't do much for me either. I was just wondering how much it would take to get into some kind of a sampler to expand to other different piano samples.

Dave, I took your advice on the Q card and once again you were right, the vintage keys card Rocks!!!! This instrument truly is everything that you told me it would be!!!! (another caviat, I set it up beside my friends Yamaha P200 and the speakers on the DG8 blew him out of the water, Thats always a great feeling).

Thanks,

Fletch

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Bosie Piano sample. The true Grand and Dark Grand ROCK. The Jazz piano is a bit bright (even the dark grand, EQ'd with the mids down and base up) for me and the classical doesn't do much for me either. I was just wondering how much it would take to get into some kind of a sampler to expand to other different piano samples.

Dave, I took your advice on the Q card and once again you were right, the vintage keys card Rocks!!!! This instrument truly is everything that you told me it would be!!!! (another caviat, I set it up beside my friends Yamaha P200 and the speakers on the DG8 blew him out of the water, Thats always a great feeling).

Thanks,

Fletch

Originally posted by Fletch:

another caviat, I set it up beside my friends Yamaha P200 and the speakers on the DG8 blew him out of the water, Thats always a great feeling.

I hear that (no pun intended)...

The P200's sound system stands no chance against the DG8...as a matter of fact, no piano that I have ever heard has an onboard sound system to rival it.

The P200 has a 30 watt per side full range sound system (still more than the Roland FP9, which only has 20 watts per side!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif ), where the DG8 sports a biamped sound system with 75 watts going to the woofers, and 25 watts going to the tweeters. it is intended to move serious air, and send a buzz up your arms that makes you feel like you're playing a real piano. I love it - I have recently moved, and right now the only keyboards that are set up in my new house are Andromeda and the DG8.

BTW, try my RazorRotor program (#75) on the Vintage Keys card...use the Chorus slider to engage the Leslie...it's probably my favorite organ program that I ever wrote. The one right before it (Emo C, #74) is another one of which I'm quite proud!

Glad you're digging your toy, Fletch!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to see a keyboardist with a band using their laptop onstage live as their main digital piano sample or for Rhodes (Emagic Plug in).

They all seem to be still using digital pianos by Roland, Kurzweil or Yamaha. Why is that?

Is the nuance so subtle that in a live band setting that it's not worth the hassle? The hassle of what?

If one wants to use a Gigasampler on a laptop live, for example with East West's Stienway B sample and ALSO be able to switch to Emagic's Computer Plug in Rhodes, wouldn't that require opening and closing back and forth between Gigasampler and Logic? That would be very time consuming, wouldn't it?

Check this out. Purgatory Creek did a Digital Piano Shoot out using the the same MIDI file, they made an MP3 for each digital piano. You can hear for yourself the difference between a real Steinway, Gigasampler, P80, PC2x, Xv-88 AND the SRX-02.http://www.purgatorycreek.com/pianocompare.html

Archived