Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

L-102 and Leslie 120

Hi all! I am fortunate enough to own a hammond organ ( albeit not a B-3) it is an L-102. While I am proficient at playing, I need some advice about how to connect a Leslie 120 amp to it (the one that was made to fit with the spinnet style organs) due to the fact there is no jack to plug into that I can find. If I have to add a jack or get it worked on professinally, that's fine but I wanted to see if anyone out there knew any way around it. Also, I would like to cut-down the organ to make it more giggable, so if anyone has any advice on this organ game, please let me know! Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi "hammondmoron". Welcome aboard!

I'd like to know you, your situation, and your experience better, in order to give you concise and appropriate advice. However, here's a few thoughts that may help:

The Leslie model 120, that you want to hook up to your Hammond "L", has no amplifier in it (if it's stock), and thus will be no louder than the organ itself. That Leslie, with its single speaker and 2-speed rotor, runs off the amplifier in the organ, via a standard Leslie cable. Traditionally, you'd have a pair of controls mounted on the front of the organ. One is a 3-way switch that lets you choose which speaker you want the music coming from: 1)- the Leslie 2)- the organ's own built-in speakers...or 3)- both. The other control, which you'll probably use way more, is a 2-way switch that lets you choose what speed the rotor in the Leslie spins at: A)- slow...or B)- fast.

The hookup was usually done using a kit that included the cable, the 2 switches, a few other wires and connectors, and maybe a "black box" that was mounted inside the organ. The kits differed, depending on exactly which make and model of organ you were going to put through which model of Leslie. I rather doubt that you could still get the specific kit that you need from Hammond Suzuki anymore, but it may be worth a try. Failing that, there are innumerable (usually older) electronic-repair gents that are hip to doing what you need. Ask around, they're out there, and they're usually delighted to help you out with Hammond/Leslie stuff that is often "Greek" to the digital fellows. There are also, of course, some major outfits that will help you out too, such as Maryland Organ Service, the Hammond Store, Goff Professional and others, many of whom are online.

You mentioned that you want this rig for gigging. It sounds like you're actually going to need a more "serious" Leslie, with a built-in amp and a matching rotary horn for the treble, such as a model 122 or 142, in order to get that nice fat ballsy wail that most of us strive for. Putting a mic or two (top & bottom) on it will allow you to hold your own in any mix. As far as cutting your "L" down goes, it's a possible, but brutal, job that would also benefit from the advice and assistance of an expert.

Good luck brother. That organ's a good'un!

This message has been edited by Jeep on 07-09-2001 at 05:11 AM

This message has been edited by Jeep on 07-09-2001 at 10:42 AM

Hi Jeep, thanks for your original advice already! I am in an aspiring cincinnati band looking to add the hammond mainly for fills/solos and very little comping. I also own a Korg X-5 and Yamaha S-80. I want to start gigging with the forementioned hammond/leslie at least until my skills improve to upgrade. I figure i can probably mic the organ through the PA for a little extra volume because of the internal amp stuff. My main concern is making this thing more portable. The internal amp prerequisite means I can't just cut that thing off. Is there any way to determine what is essential to my organs functioning? I have a pro who is going to look at my situation but I want to go in knowing a little bit !

Thanks!

Archived