Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif: First Impressions

Remember when the movie "Unbreakable" came out? M. Night Shamlayan (however you spell it) hailed it as the best movie of the year, Oscar winner, yadda yadda yadda. And when the Playstation 2 came out, it too was hyped out the wazoo. So, now we have the "Triton Killer" from Yamaha...

I'm not that impressed. But don't get me wrong. I think that this thing, if viewed correctly, could land quite a nice place in gearland. With the ISS function, you could put together an entire song, vocals and music, with the Motif and a mic. But, is it better than a Triton overall? I don't think so.

Sound-wise, I think that the Triton has a more out-of-the-box, "made for CD" quality sound. I personally would put the Motif's sound in line with the P2K. It sounds really good, but doesn't have that something extra...and that can be a good thing, depending on who you are. Of all the things that I can attest to right now, again, on first impressions, is that the guitars are among the best I've heard. And I'm not talking about them being necessarily "realistic", but just sounding real-ly GOOD. The EPs and basses are cool, on par with just about everything else, but less than Roland's. The drums aren't too hot. I'm not an acoustic piano guy per se, so I'm not going to comment on those.

In any case, I dig the Motif for what it's worth. And like "Unbreakable" and the PS2, I really want to like it. I wanna throw out any ideas of a Triton rack to go with my JV, but...sorry Yammie.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived